[NFB-Web] Email Links

Joseph Drenth joe.drenth at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 21:29:15 UTC 2022

Hi Steve,

I recommend against putting real email addresses on your web pages. Instead,
use either a "contact us" form or spell out the components of the email in
text so robots do not detect it. The reason behind this recommendation is
that we in Pennsylvania have been the recipients of very targeted fishing
attacks. They even go so far as to send our treasurer fake emails as if they
were from the president asking them to email back in order to quickly make a
late payment, or something along those lines. The "president" of course has
a bogus email address, but the rest of the email is close enough to reality
that it is dangerous. To avoid such scams, I recommend avoiding direct email
addresses as much as possible, especially addresses of people who might not
be Internet savvy enough to immediately detect fishing and other scams.

Just my two cents.

Joseph Drenth
First Vice-President, National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania State Board of Vocational Rehabilitation
Senior R&D Software Engineer
E-mail:  <mailto:joe.drenth at gmail.com> joe.drenth at gmail.com