[NFB-Web] Events

blind at trailstone.com blind at trailstone.com
Sat Jan 7 18:11:57 UTC 2023

HI Steve,

I want to preface my email with my affiliate has not been able to
successfully migrate to the NFB national platform yet, so the best answer
should come from guidance of the national office because I do not know the
exact configuration of the Drupal instance, they setup. I know the NFB
migration training I sat through did highly encourage using google calendars
as it looks like you are using based on your email. All my research
indicates creating google reoccurring events is a pain, if possible, in
Drupal 8. The two main suggestions I found were to either create the
reoccurring event directly in google calendars and sync or import the event
into Drupal. The second suggestion was to simply import the reoccurring
event .

Some additional posts I found said it is possible, but again it depends on
what modules and services the NFB national platform is making available to
you. Below are the two posts I found that may be helpful.

YouTube on Smart Date starter kit.

reoccurring event information starts at 23 Minutes 56 Seconds of 57 Minutes
43 Seconds

However, this is not utilizing Google calendars as far as I can tell and is
integrated into the Drupal 8+ calendar module

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMoYD152uOo

The second post is as follows.

Google Calendar Service

Google Calendar Service provides the functionality to create the calendar
and sync calendar events in the Drupal system. The calendar events can be
imported

with specific range time or choosing to import all. This functionality is
designed for sites which want to keep and

track all calendars events. The sync work on both directions, an event added
to the configured Google Calendar ID on Drupal will be imported to
correcposnding

Google Calendar.

INSTALLATION

. Run "composer require google/apiclient" before manual installation.

. The module can be installed like other modules.

. Once the module has been installed, navigate to
"/admin/config/google-calendar-service/settings"" and configure the
settings.

CONFIGURATION

list of 9 items

. Navigate to "/admin/config/google-calendar-service/settings"

. Go to

https://console.developers.google.com/projectcreate

and create your

project.

. Navigate to Google Api's list and enable "Google Calendar API".

. Create credentials for your API, using the hint from the enabled Google

Calendar API page or

https://console.developers.google.com/apis/credentials

. Create "OAuth client ID".

. Download Your Secret Client JSON and upload it on the below form.

. Upload the secret client file.

. Add the google email used Google Calendar API from the above steps.

. Save configuration.

list end

How to use

After module is installed and Google API is configured go to
"/admin/calendar" and Add your calendar.

Now you can import/export your events.

As you can see the second post does not show how to create a reoccurring
event. You're at the mercy of the google API that is implemented in Drupal.

It is possible the reoccurring event API service is not turned on and you
are maybe able to do so by going to your admin config calendar settings to
do such.

Graham Mehl

blind at trailstone.com

NFB Central Maryland Chapter, Board Member

NFB of Maryland Website and Technology Committee, Member

LCB graduate, 2016