[Nfb_of_georgia] Please take a minute to read and sign a petition for equal access in higher education

Mary Fernandez trillian551 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 05:44:39 UTC 2014

Hello All,
I hope this email finds you well.
Most would agree that the opportunity for a college education is one
of the great equalizers. But did you know that many blind and print
disabled students are not able to complete a college education, or are
cheated out of an equal education, because of inaccessible technology?
As colleges and universities purchase and distribute technology for
the classroom, the majority does not take the compatibility of those
technologies with assistive software into consideration, and blind
students are left to figure out retrofit solutions, which are never as
efficient as if the technologies had been built with the ground up
with accessibility in mind. We need to fix that.
Below, you will find a petition I drafted in support of a new law
which would supply guidelines for universities so that technology will
always be accessible. The petitioner, Jamie principado, was a student
who had to leave her university, because for three years she had no
access to homework, grades, learning management system etc. Please
take a minute to read and sign this petition if you find that this is
an important issue. Please, also distribute to your contacts. This is
a petition as much about educating the general public, students and
academia, as it is a request for Congress to take action.
Thank you so much and please contact me if you have any further question.
Sincerely,

--
Mary Fernandez
P.S. I know that some of your in this email have already signed the