[NFB_of_Georgia] My intention to run for affiliate president

Greg Aikens gaikens at nfbga.org
Thu Aug 4 11:12:10 UTC 2016

Dear NFB of GA family,

I wanted to take a moment to write a note announcing my intention to run for President of the National Federation of the Blind of Georgia at our convention this October. It has been my honor to serve on the Board of Directors for the NFB of GA for the last two years. During that time I have learned a great deal about our affiliate, including the large number of talented people in our organization. Our greatest asset is our people and all that talent translates into a great potential for making changes that allow blind Georgians to live the lives they want.

For those who do not yet know me, I am originally from Loganville, Georgia. I discovered the NFB while I was attending seminary in Springfield, MO in 2009. Since that time I have been involved in local chapters in Nashville, TN from 2010-2012 and our very own Cobb County Empowerment Chapter since moving back to Georgia in 2012. I have been involved in the GEMS mentoring program since 2013. Professionally, I work as an assistive technology instructor, teaching computer skills to blind adults preparing for employment. I also worked for four years in the public school system, teaching blindness skills to K-12 students.

I want to be president because I believe that my skills and experience will allow me to serve our affiliate well. My passion and commitment to our movement, ability to build and develop relationships, communication skills, ability to work on and lead a team, and new ideas will help me lead the affiliate board of directors. My desire is to empower as many of you as are willing to do the work that needs to be done in Georgia to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind. I want to make a space for all voices to be heard. We have a diverse group—seniors, working professionals, non working adults, students, parents, people from south, west, east, and central Georgia, as well as from metro Atlanta. I want us to come together and identify the biggest barriers facing the blind in Georgia and then start dismantling those barriers.

If I do not yet know you, I want to get to know you and hear your thoughts on the future of our Georgia affiliate. Please feel free to contact me at this email address, gaikens at nfba.org <mailto:gaikens at nfba.org> or my mobile number is 404-444-8661.

On a related note, there will be 8 board positions up for election at this year’s convention. If you feel you have the time, skills, and desire to make a difference in the NFB of Georgia, I encourage you to consider running for a board position. If you have questions about what serving on the board entails, reach out to me or other current or past board members, your chapter leadership, or anyone who has been around for a while. Our affiliate needs strong leadership who are passionate about our movement and willing to work.

Thank you for taking the time to read this note. I look forward to seeing you all in Savannah this October and hopefully hearing from many of you before then.

Sincerely,

Greg Aikens
NFB of Georgia, Affiliate Board Member
gaikens at nfbga.org