[NFB_of_Georgia] Fwd: [Nfbnet-members-list] FW: Be a Part of the Solution: Join the Dialogue!

Stancil Tootle stootle at nfbga.org
Mon May 16 03:12:31 UTC 2016

Stancil Tootle TTS, CPS2 WHAM,WRAP
  1st  Vice-President,
Legislative Chairman.
National Federation of the Blind
1901 Montreal Rd. Suite 102 Tucker, GA 30082
Office: (404) 371-1000 ext. 39
Cell: (229) 254-6630
Email:stootle at nfbga.org

Begin forwarded message:

From: NAGDU President via Nfbnet-members-list <nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org>
Date: May 15, 2016 at 4:50:34 PM EDT
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] FW: Be a Part of the Solution: Join the Dialogue!

Dear Fellow Federationists,

                In the May issue of the Braille Monitor, an article entitled “Fake Service Dogs: Problem or propaganda”, written by Marion Gwizdala, president of the National Association of Guide Dog Users, urged NFB members to take action to raise awareness of the mutual rights and responsibilities of guide and other service dog users and businesses. In this article, President Gwizdala wrote, “We want businesses to know the rights of an individual accompanied by a service dog are not absolute, and businesses have the right to deny access to dogs that pose a direct threat, are out-of-control and the handler does not take action to correct the behavior, or if the dog is not housebroken.” The entire article can be read by going to

https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm16/bm1605/bm160508.htm

                The National Association of Guide Dog Users has created some tools to help NFB members start a conversation with businesses about their rights and responsibilities as it pertains to access to individuals accompanied by service animals. In order to have this conversation, we want to offer some guidance on using the tools and having the conversation. NAGDU will sponsor a teleconference call about having this conversation on Tuesday, May 17 at 8:00 pm Eastern Daylight Time (7:00 pm Central; 6:00 pm Mountain; & 5:00 pm Pacific). To join the conversation, please call (641) 715-3300 and use participant code 560908#. We look forward to working with fellow Federationists to remove the obstacles we all face as blind people in our quest to live the life we want!

                If you have any questions or comments, please send a message to

info at nagdu.org

                The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise expectations because low expectations are the obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds you back!