[NFB_of_Georgia] Fwd: [Nfbnet-members-list] Language to End Subminimum Wages Included in New Minimum Wage Bill

Stancil Tootle stootle at nfbga.org
Fri May 26 03:24:43 UTC 2017

Stancil Tootle TTS, CPS2 WHAM,WRAP
  1st  Vice-President,
Legislative Chairmansh .
National Federation of the Blind of GA.
1133 Commerce Dr., Apt. 217
Decatur, GA 30030
Office: (404) 371-1000
Cell: (229) 254-6630
Email:stootle at nfbga.org

Begin forwarded message:

From: National Federation of the Blind via NFBNet-Members-List <nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org>
Date: May 25, 2017 at 8:28:05 PM EDT
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] Language to End Subminimum Wages Included in New Minimum Wage Bill

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

Language to End Subminimum Wages Included in New Minimum Wage Bill

Baltimore, Maryland (May 25, 2017): The National Federation of the Blind today applauded the inclusion of language in the Raise the Wage Act of 2017, simultaneously introduced in the House and the Senate, which calls for the end of the payment of subminimum wages to workers with disabilities.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said: "The National Federation of the Blind has advocated for the elimination of the subminimum wage since our founding. The recognition of this issue by leaders in both houses of Congress and both parties confirms that the time has long passed to eliminate the unfair and separate wage system for people with disabilities. Time and time again, we have demonstrated that the idea of people with disabilities being less productive is simply an antiquated misconception that has been allowed to permeate throughout society. This wrong and harmful notion has resulted in multiple generations of disabled Americans being grossly underpaid and overly reliant on government assistance programs to survive. We want to work. We want to rid society of these low expectations. For those reasons, we applaud the promotion of economic self-sufficiency for people with disabilities set forth in the bill."

Under current law, there is no minimum as to how little an employee with disabilities can be paid. Some workers earn pennies per hour. Section 6 of the Raise the Wage Act of 2017 would implement an immediate minimum wage of $4.25 for all workers classified under Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938. This absolute minimum wage rate would increase by two dollars per year until it matched the minimum wage earned by the rest of the American workforce. At which point, employers would no longer be permitted to pay employees with disabilities a subminimum wage.

###

For more information about the National Federation of the Blind, please visit: www.nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells Street | Baltimore, MD 21230 | (410) 659-9314
Unsubscribe | Opt Out |  Sign up for email newsletter

200 East Wells Street
Baltimore, MD 21230
United States