[NFB_of_Georgia] White Cane Day

Stancil Tootle stootle at nfbga.org
Fri Sep 22 16:47:50 UTC 2017

Stancil Tootle TTS, CPS2 WHAM,WRAP
  1st  Vice-President,
Legislative Chairmansh .
National Federation of the Blind of GA.
1133 Commerce Dr., Apt. 217
Decatur, GA 30030
Office: (404) 371-1000
Cell: (229) 254-6630
Email:stootle at nfbga.org

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back. How can we teach the world about how the white cane helps blind people live the lives we want? Does the general public know that the white cane not only identifies that a person is blind, but also tells us about the surrounding environment­steps, curbs, poles, doorways­information necessary for safe and independent travel?

The National Federation of the Blind will be celebrating White Cane Awareness Day this year on October 15. This day is an opportunity to share what it means to be an active and independent blind person and break down misconceptions about blindness.

More than just a safety instrument, the white cane is a tool for freedom and self-determination. It has become one of the symbols of a blind person's ability to come and go on his or her own. The white cane helps the user fully express skills and talents, mobility, and independence.  It also allows a sighted person to recognize that the user is blind.

We encourage each member and state affiliate to join the celebration of White Cane Awareness Day by engaging the wider community and sharing how the white cane gives the gift of independence. We will be posting some suggestions for things you can do, including sample language for your affiliate’s website, sample tweets, and a short educational video.

If you have any suggestions or would like more information about ways that you can participate in White Cane Awareness Day, please contactcommunicationsteam at nfb.org .

Anna W. Adler
Outreach Coordinator
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314, extension 2282| AAdler at nfb.org