[NFB_of_Georgia] Shikha running for NFB of Georgia secretary position

Shikha desai1shikha at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 03:53:56 UTC 2018

Hello Federation family,
My name is Shikha Desai, and I am running for the secretary position. I have been involved in the federation since 2012, and I have been actively involved in the student division as vice president for few years and as a board member for few years. I have also been a mentor for the youth, and I graduated from the Louisiana Center for the Blind in 2013. I then completed my core classes at Gwinnett Technical College. In fall 2015, I transferred to Georgia State University where I received my bachelor degree in social work. I graduated in 2018 and will be receiving my master in social work specializing in community partnership in 2019.  I have a passion of helping people who have a disability to live an independent life in their community. I was fortunate to complete my bachelors in social work internship and my Masters in social work internship at two different organizations where I was able to show my passion in disability rights.

I have also attended Washington seminar few times and also attended state and national convention few times. In addition, I am also involved in the Atlanta Metro Chapter. I am organize, hard working, and reliable. I have also advocated at the state capital and at D.C.  I love to write and I love hanging out with friends. I will help the president and vice president with whatever they need. I was also a scholarship winner in 2013 for the state of Georgia. I would like to build up a scholarship committee and also find a way to fund it. I have written many long research papers and have created a manual on how to use the mac computer with voice over. I am also passionate in finding resources for all individuals who have a disability. This summer I had the opportunity to attend a student leadership seminar at Baltimore Maryland. This seminar taught me that all of us have different strengths to accomplish our dreams.

I am really excited for this weekend and hope you will vote for me as secretary.

Thanks,

Shikha Desai
Bachelor in Social Work
Georgia State University 18
Master in Social Work Georgia State University specialize Community Partnership 19