[NFB_of_Georgia] Fwd: [State-affiliate-leadership-list] National Federation of the Blind Applauds the Introduction of the Access Technology Affordability Act

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Fri Mar 15 18:25:23 UTC 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Danielsen, Chris via State-Affiliate-Leadership-List <
state-affiliate-leadership-list at nfbnet.org>
Date: Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 9:48 AM
Subject: [State-affiliate-leadership-list] National Federation of the Blind
Applauds the Introduction of the Access Technology Affordability Act
To: Danielsen, Chris <CDanielsen at nfb.org>
Cc: Danielsen, Chris <CDanielsen at nfb.org>

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE *
National Federation of the Blind Applauds the Introduction of the Access
Technology Affordability Act

*Baltimore, Maryland (March 15, 2019): *The National Federation of the
Blind, the oldest and largest organization of blind Americans, applauds the
introduction of the Access Technology Affordability Act (ATAA) of 2019 (S.
815) by Senators John Boozman (R-AR) and Ben Cardin (D-MD). This bipartisan
legislation removes an employment barrier commonly experienced by blind
Americans who cannot afford the high cost of access technology by creating
a refundable tax credit in the amount of $2,000 to offset the cost of these
technologies. Additional champions include Senators Richard Burr (R-NC),
Robert Casey (D-PA), Susan Collins (R-ME), Maggie Hassan (D-NH), Doug Jones
(D-AL), Dan Sullivan (R-AK), Jon Tester (D-MT), and Ron Wyden (D-OR).

Senator Boozman said: “As an optometrist, I know how essential access
technology is for blind Americans to achieve educational and employment
goals. The high cost of this technology continues to be a barrier for so
many who are ready and willing to work. With almost 71 percent of blind
Americans unemployed, I am pleased to work with my colleagues and
re-introduce this commonsense bipartisan legislation that will reduce the
financial burden associated with these items and ensure that blind
Americans can receive the tools they need to succeed in the classroom, the
workplace, and within the community.”

“Making access technology affordable is critical to ensuring that blind
individuals can participate fully in our communities and have equal access
to every opportunity,” said Senator Ben Cardin. “I am proud we have
bipartisan support for this empowering legislation, which gives blind
Marylanders, and all blind Americans, flexible economic support to help
them lead full and successful lives.”

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
“My wife, my two daughters, and I are all blind, and the children’s
technology needs are going to increase as they continue their education and
start their careers. My family is not unique; blind people across the
nation face this challenge, and this legislation will provide critical
assistance. We thank and commend our outstanding senate champions for
putting forward this legislation, which will help give blind people the
technology they need to live the lives they want.”

*###*

*About the National Federation of the Blind *

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), headquartered in Baltimore, is
the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind Americans. Founded
in 1940, the NFB consists of affiliates, chapters, and divisions in the
fifty states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico. The NFB defends the rights of
blind people of all ages and provides information and support to families
with blind children, older Americans who are losing vision, and more. We
believe in the hopes and dreams of blind people and work together to
transform them into reality. Learn more about our many programs and
initiatives at www.nfb.org.

*CONTACT:*

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

410-659-9314, extension 2330

410-262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

Christopher S. Danielsen, J.D.

Director of Public Relations

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314, Ext. 2330 | cdanielsen at nfb.org

Twitter: @rlawyer

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>

                         [image: Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>    [image: Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>    [image: Youtube]
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we
work together to help blind people live the lives they want.