[NFB_of_Georgia] Fwd: Soapbox message

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Fri Nov 15 13:16:34 UTC 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <alice.ritchhart at comcast.net>
Date: Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 12:08 PM
Subject: Soapbox message

                Dear Alliance Members:

I want to get serious for a few minutes. I was real thrilled by the turn
out at our first meeting back in June. I have to say I thought “everyone”
was on board and ready to go to work to try to save services for the blind
and low vision here in Georgia. Then we had our meeting a couple of weeks
 ago and the numbers were down. However those present were very active, and
we did get a lot accomplished. However if we are going to make a change in
the way things are happening for the blind and low vision in Georgia we
must all stick together and all be active in what needs to be done. Several
of you may have just attended the National Vision Alliance meeting held in
Atlanta last week. If you did you know that the reoccurring theme was we
need to raise awareness to congress and our state legislators, and our
communities as to what the needs , problems, and solutions are. We need to
be working to increase funding for the services needed, and most important
be cause the blind and low vision community is small in numbers compared to
other groups asking for a piece of the pie we must be united. That means
all blind organizations, and all service providers of the blind. If we do
not step up to the plate and take an active role then we might as well kiss
services for the blind good-bye. At the meeting in Augusta we learned that
we are going backwards in our right to vote. The new machines are not
accessible to us like they are for the rest of the voting population. We
know that education for our young people is going backwards, and we don’t
even need to say anything about vocational rehabilitation services. I will
say that at least GVRS is listening and at the table by their present at
the meeting in Augusta. So I call upon each and every one of you take
action. We must communicate, and share ideas, and most of all show we are
all on the same page, and that means advocating for change so that those
individuals from birth to grave get what services they need to be
independent and valued member of their community. So please come to our
next meeting, get involved in one of the committees, and most of all help
support the Commission Bill. Thank you for taking the time to read, and now
lets show solidarity in fight for the blind and low vision.

Alice Ritchhart, Chair

Georgia Vision Alliance

dgriffin at nfbga.org