[NFB_of_Georgia] Message from the National President

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Tue Sep 17 19:33:29 UTC 2019

President’s NotebookNational Federation of the BlindMark A. RiccobonoCritical
Actions This Week:

News:

Presidential Release:
The September Presidential Release can be found at
https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases.

New-Member-Form Links:
Please be aware that two links to the new-member form have been mistakenly
circulated. You should ensure that all chapter and affiliate leaders use
the correct link: https://www.nfb.org/civicrm/newmember/form/. If you have
questions about the new-member form or continue to experience technical
difficulties submitting new members, please send an email to
membership at nfb.org or call 410-659-9314, extension 2509.

Legislative Alerts:
We are now in the second week of our three-week Congressional support
blitz. Last week, we gained two cosponsors, Congresswoman DeGette of
Colorado and Congresswoman Shalala of Florida, for the Access Technology
Affordability Act in the House. While this is good, let’s try to do even
better this week when we call our senators and representatives about the
Transformation to Competitive Employment Act (H.R. 873/S. 260). As a
reminder, this legislation would phase out Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor
Standards Act over a six-year period, at which point the provision would
officially be sunset. You can contact your member of Congress by calling
the Capitol Switchboard and asking for the office in question. The number
is 202-224-3121. If you email your representative or senators, please copy
John Pare at jpare at nfb.org. Remember, your calls and emails make a
difference.

Early Childhood Initiatives:
As blind children are settling into the back-to-school routine, the National
Federation of the Blind early childhood initiatives
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/early-childhood-initiatives> are great
resources for them and their families, providing guidance on literacy and
independent travel. At no cost, families with young blind children up to
eight years old can sign up for the Braille Reading Pals Club, which
provides Braille books and other fun Braille activities, and our Early
Explorers Initiative, which encourages independent travel and exploration.
Share the programs and early childhood application
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/early-childhood-initiatives/early-childhood-application>
 today!

Dates to Keep in Mind:

   - September 18, 2019: Open-House Gathering; email membership at nfb.org to
   sign up
   - September 24, 2019: Accessibility Boutique on Website Accessibility
   Basics; email KZimnik at nfb.org to sign up
   - February 10, 2020: Great Gathering-In; Washington Seminar begins
   - March 26-27, 2020: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium, Baltimore, Maryland
   - June 30-July 5, 2020: NFB National Convention, Houston, Texas

dgriffin at nfbga.org