[NFB_of_Georgia] Fwd: [State-Affiliate-Leadership-List] Blind Americans Encountering Discrimination by Restaurants and Other Services During COVID-19 Crisis

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Fri Apr 3 22:33:27 UTC 2020

Please share.
---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Danielsen, Chris via State-Affiliate-Leadership-List <
state-affiliate-leadership-list at nfbnet.org>
Date: Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 3:32 PM
Subject: [State-Affiliate-Leadership-List] Blind Americans Encountering
Discrimination by Restaurants and Other Services During COVID-19 Crisis
To: NCB Staff <NCBStaff at nfb.org>, nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org <
nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org>, State Affiliate Leadership List <
state-affiliate-leadership-list at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Danielsen, Chris <CDanielsen at nfb.org>

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE*

*Blind Americans Encountering Discrimination by Restaurants and Other
Services During COVID-19 Crisis*

*Restaurants, Banks, and Others Denying Service to Blind Pedestrians*

*Baltimore, Maryland (April 3, 2020):* The National Federation of the
Blind, America’s civil rights organization of the blind, today demanded
that restaurants, banks, and other businesses, as well as drive-through
COVID-19 testing facilities, provide equal service to blind customers, as
required by the Americans with Disabilities Act, whether the blind customer
is on foot or in a vehicle. Many businesses are offering drive-through
service only during the COVID-19 pandemic. The National Federation of the
Blind has received numerous reports of discrimination against blind people
who have tried to access drive-through windows on foot, and at least one
local television station
<https://www.news8000.com/people-with-disabilities-face-new-challenges-under-coronavirus-orders/>
has reported on the problem.

“We reject the argument that accessing a drive-through window on foot is
unsafe for blind people, since we regularly cross busy intersections and
interact with vehicles,” said Mark Riccobono, President of the National
Federation of the Blind. “But even if a restaurant, bank, or testing center
is unable or unwilling to offer pedestrian access to its drive-through
window, the law clearly requires that it offer reasonable modifications to
allow the blind and others with disabilities to take advantage of its
public services. The bottom line is that, especially at a time when access
to vehicle transportation for non-drivers is limited, there is no legal or
moral excuse for denying service to blind people simply because we are not
in a car. To do so is unlawful and discriminatory, and we will not tolerate
it.”

*###*

*About the National Federation of the Blind *

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), headquartered in Baltimore, is
the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind Americans. Founded
in 1940, the NFB consists of affiliates, chapters, and divisions in the
fifty states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico. The NFB defends the rights of
blind people of all ages and provides information and support to families
with blind children, older Americans who are losing vision, and more. We
believe in the hopes and dreams of blind people and work together to
transform them into reality. Learn more about our many programs and
initiatives at www.nfb.org.

*CONTACT:*

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

this news brief is also available at:
https://www.nfb.org/about-us/press-room/blind-americans-encountering-discrimination-restaurants-and-other-services

Christopher S. Danielsen, J.D.

Director of Public Relations

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314, Ext. 2330 | cdanielsen at nfb.org

Twitter: @rlawyer

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>

                         [image: Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>    [image: Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>    [image: Youtube]
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we
work together to help blind people live the lives they want.