[NFB_of_Georgia] President's Notebook August 17, 2020

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Mon Aug 17 20:54:45 UTC 2020

Dear Fellow Federationists,

It is nice to have a week when there is nothing shockingly urgent or
unexpected. We do have a number of important activities this week including
our 2020 Federation “BELLebration” to honor the more than 250 children and
families who were supported by our Federation family during our NFB
BELL® In-Home
Edition.

There are some new items of interest below, so be sure to read further.

Have a great week.
News Action Fund 2021 Braille Calendars:

The 2021 Braille calendars are ready! You can order up to three calendars
at https://actionfund.org/resources/braille-calendars, by calling
410-659-9315 and pressing 2, or by emailing actionfund at actionfund.org. These
calendars are available courtesy of the American Action Fund for Blind
Children and Adults.
 Advocacy and Policy Update:

Last week I wrote a letter to Senator John Cornyn
<https://www.nfb.org/sites/www.nfb.org/files/files-pdf/safe-to-work-act-letter.pdf>
(TX)
regarding language in a COVID-19 relief bill he introduced in the Senate,
the SAFE TO WORK Act (S. 4317). Section 181 of the bill would suspend
critical protections of the ADA, and we cannot let that happen. There is
still time to contact your members of Congress and ask them to remove any
mention of the ADA from Section 181 of the SAFE TO WORK Act. For more
specific details, please refer to the legislative alert that was sent out
on August 3.

Braille Books:

You may occasionally be asked whether the Federation has use for Braille
books. As you know, we host a Braille book fair, sponsored by the American
Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults, at convention each year—at least
at our in-person conventions. While we gladly accept Braille book donations
for the fair, the needs are specific. Books should be in good condition and
titles that an adult or child would enjoy reading. We do not typically
accept textbooks or magazines. Anyone donating more than a title or two
should send a list of available titles to Melissa Riccobono at
melissa at actionfund.orgbefore shipping anything to the Jernigan Institute.
Those who would still like to share titles that may not be suitable for the
book fair can create an account on ShareBraille (
https://www.sharebraille.org) and post any available titles.

*Journal of Blindness Innovation and Research*:

The National Federation of the Blind’s *Journal of Blindness Innovation and
Research* is the scholarly journal created by blind people designed to
address the real problems of blindness. Some of the topics in this newest
issue include:

   - Association between mentoring and STEM engagement
   - Adjustment to blindness
   - Route learning

Read the latest *JBIR* articles now
<https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/jbir/jbir20/jbir1002tc.html>.
*JBIR* is also available on NFB-NEWSLINE®.

New Blog—When Assertiveness and Confidence Made All the Difference:

Dr. Marc Maurer, Immediate Past President of the National Federation of the
Blind, stated in one of his iconic speeches that we are tired of being told
to sit down and wait, that we spend too many hours waiting, and that we
intend to take control of our own lives. Read Ever Lee Hairston’s experience
<https://www.nfb.org/blog/when-assertiveness-and-confidence-made-all-difference>
where
she refused to sit and wait for a flight.

NFB In the News:

As the leading advocate for all blind Americans, the National Federation of
the Blind is often featured in a variety of news outlets at both the
national and local level. Recent articles include topics on mail-in ballot
discrimination, access to voting, and Netflix’s new playback speed. Check
out the latest articles in our press room
<https://www.nfb.org/about-us/press-room>. The press room also includes
important press releases, news briefs, and public service announcements.

Enjoy the Many NFB Songs:

One of the more unique organizational traits of the National Federation of
the Blind is the central role that songs have played in our community.
Enjoy the 2020 National Convention Choir songs and the many other songs in
our Jacobus tenBroek Library vault. Access the NFB songs now
<https://www.nfb.org/resources/jacobus-tenbroek-library/collections/nfb-songs>
!

Unemployment Benefits Survey:

The National Federation of the Blind is investigating barriers and denials
related to unemployment benefits. If you have been terminated or laid off
from your job within the last two years, please take time to complete our
important survey, available at www.nfb.org/legal.

Dates to Keep in Mind

   - September 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
   - September 13: Open-House Gathering call, 4:00 p.m. eastern
   - October 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
   - October: Meet the Blind Month
   - November 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
   - December 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
   - December 9: Open-House Gathering call, 8:00 p.m. eastern
   - February 8, 2021: Washington Seminar Great Gathering-In

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314 | officeofth <officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
dgriffin at nfbga.org