[NFB_of_Georgia] Fwd: NFB President’s Notebook - Week of 12/21/2020

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Wed Dec 23 14:02:49 UTC 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: President, National Federation of the Blind <
OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>
Date: Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 3:57 PM
Subject: NFB President’s Notebook - Week of 12/21/2020

President’s Notebook National Federation of the Blind Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org 410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

Welcome to winter. Although it is cold and the days are shorter, the warmth
within the National Federation of the Blind is as powerful as ever. On
almost the eve of Christmas, we have helped deliver a much needed gift of
relief to the blind entrepreneurs whose businesses under the Randolph
Sheppard Program have been crushed by the COVID-19 shutdowns. As you may
already know, Congress will vote on the 2021 Omnibus Appropriations Bill
and coronavirus relief package this evening. For many months, the National
Federation of the Blind and the National Association of Blind Merchants
have been advocating for economic relief for Randolph-Sheppard vendors who
have been impacted by the pandemic. We have just learned that $20 million
has been included in the appropriations bill to help recover lost revenue
the vendors have endured due to the closure of federal facilities. Thanks
to Nicky Gacos and the National Association of Blind Merchants for the
terrific work on this issue.

 As we near the Christmas holiday, which is celebrated by the Riccobonos, I
am reminded how wonderful it is to have the Federation family. Each of you
have helped us get through an unimaginable year. Each of you are going to
be part of making sure that 2021 is our best year ever. From my family to
yours, we sincerely wish you a most joyous close to 2020, a relaxing and
reflective time with family, and great energy and strength as we head into
the new year. I am honored to have you as part of my Federation family, and
I anticipate the wonderful work we will do together in the new year. Thank
you and may your holidays be safe, happy, and warm.

 *Critical Actions:*
*Open Letter of Apology—Please Read:*

There have been recent discussions taking place in the blindness community
around abuse and misconduct. If you haven’t already, please read the open
letter of apology sent out on December 16
<https://www.nfb.org/about-us/press-room/national-federation-blind-stands-solidarity-victims-and-survivors>.

*Most Staff Off Next Week:*

Most of the staff will be taking some well-deserved down time next week
relaxing between the holidays. While a few people will be working, the
offices will be technically closed December 25 through January 3. You are
welcome to leave a voice mail or send an email to anyone during that
period, but don’t expect a reply until the New Year.

 *News:*
*Washington Seminar Training:*

There will be four training sessions in the weeks leading up to Washington
Seminar. They will be held every Thursday.  Remember that the Great
Gathering-In will be Monday, February 8, at 5:00 p.m. eastern. There will
also be a final training on the issues that same day from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m.
eastern. All National Federation of the Blind members are urged to attend
both of these meetings.

 *Louis Braille Commemorative Silver Dollar on Sale *
*   in Honor of 2021 World Braille Day:*

During the week of January 4-8 only, the National Federation of the Blind
Independence Market will be offering special pricing for the Louis Braille
Bicentennial Silver Dollar. This commemorative coin was issued by the
United States Mint in 2009 to honor the two hundredth anniversary of Louis
Braille's birth. The US Mint issues only two commemorative silver dollars
each year, so it is truly special that our incredible advocacy led to the
recognition of Louis Braille’s contribution to the literacy of blind people
in this way. During this week, the price of this collector’s coin will be
$50.00 plus shipping and handling. To make a purchase or for further
questions, please contact the NFB Independence Market by phone at
410-659-9314, extension 2216, or by email at independencemarket at nfb.org.

*Attend the First 2021 Presidential Release on January 4—Captioning and
Spanish Available:*

The January Presidential Release of the National Federation of the Blind
will be delivered on World Braille Day—Monday, January 4—at 8:00 p.m.
eastern. After the remarks, there is an opportunity for questions. Submit
questions in advance to cdanielsen at nfb.org and put PR501 in the subject
line, or call 410-659-9314, extension 2473. Closed captions and Spanish
interpretation will be available. Zoom details coming soon.

*Applications Open for 2021 Bolotin Awards:*

National Federation of the Blind is accepting nominations of individuals or
organizations who are a positive force in the lives of blind people and
advance the goal of helping us transform dreams into reality. Each
application must include a letter of recommendation. Learn more and submit
a nomination for the 2021 Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/dr-jacob-bolotin-awards/application-information>
.

*Share the Free Slate and Stylus Program:*

National Federation of the Blind distributes a plastic, four-line,
twenty-eight cell slate along with a saddle stylus to blind people who know
Braille or want to learn Braille. It is the only Braille-writing device
that has the same portability, flexibility, and affordability as a pen and
pencil. Materials to learn how to use a slate and stylus are also
available. Order a free slate and stylus
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/free-slate-and-stylus-program>.

*Affiliate and Chapter Thank Yous:* Thanks go out to the National
Federation of the Blind of California San Fernando Valley Chapter, the
National Federation of the Blind of Florida, and the National Federation of
the Blind of Connecticut for recent gifts. These generous gifts help us to
keep connecting and protecting blind people now and into the future.

*Dates to Keep in Mind:*

   - January 4: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
   - January 18: Braille Readers are Leaders
   <https://actionfund.org/programs/braille-readers-are-leaders>
   registration (and page count) deadline
   - January 28: Smart Cities Summit
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/smart-cities-summit>,
   12:00-8:00 p.m. eastern
   - February 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
   - February 8: Washington Seminar
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar>
   Great Gathering-In
   - March 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
   - March 24-26: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium
   - March 31: Scholarship application
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program/scholarship-program-application-checklist>
   deadline
   - April 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
   - April 15: Bolotin Awards <https://www.nfb.org/bolotin> nominations
   deadline
   - May 2: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
   - June 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
   - July 6-11: NFB National Convention, New Orleans, Louisiana

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/200+East+Wells+Street,+Baltimore,+MD+21230?entry=gmail&source=g>

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>

                         [image: Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>    [image: Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>    [image: Youtube]
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we
work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

dgriffin at nfbga.org