[NFB_of_Georgia] FW: [NFBofSC] Positive Note 1794

Steve Cook stanley7709 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 13:09:48 UTC 2020

From: NFBofSC <nfbofsc-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Jennifer Bazer via
NFBofSC
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2020 7:28 AM
To: 'NFB of South Carolina Mailing List' <nfbofsc at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Jennifer Bazer <jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>; 'David Houck' <nfbsc at sc.rr.com>
Subject: [NFBofSC] Positive Note 1794

December 28, 2020

Others

From:  Jennifer Bazer, President

Positive Note 1794

803-960-9977

Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com <mailto:Jhipp25 at sc.rr.com>

Greetings Fellow Federationists:

I hope each of you had  a very merry Christmas and are looking forward to a
prosperous 2021! This is our last Positive Note for 2020 and this year has
brought challenges, and at the same time, it has brought triumphs; it has
brought obstacles that we have turned into opportunities; it has brought
sadness as well as success; it has brought loss, and it has brought birth;
it has brought failure, and it has brought faith; it has closed doors, and
it has opened new ones; it has brought hardships, and it has left blessings.
It is another chapter written in our book called life. Some say they will be
glad when 2020 comes to a close; I am thankful for what this year has taught
me; what it has given me; what it has shown me; what it has created in me. I
am grateful for what this year has done for the NFB of SC and for the NFB
nationally. As we look with anticipation to 2021, let's be like the coffee
bean in boiling water and discover the power within us to transform our
environment. Let's not be like the carrot who is  softened in boiling water
or the egg who hardens in boiling water. Let's change from the inside and
transform the world around us into an amazing place!

              As 2020 draws to a close, just a few things we all need to do
as active members in our Palmetto affiliate.

              Dates to remember; please mark your calendars. See more
specific details on these action items further in this Positive Note.

              Fulfill our state convention pledges by December 31.

You may fulfill your pledges online by visiting the donate link on our
nfbofsc.org site, or you may mail a check to the Federation Center, 119 S.
Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205. Please note on the check or online,
state convention pledge so that we can update our pledge list. If you did
not make a pledge, but wish to contribute to the NFB of SC in 2020, your tax
deductible donations are appreciated.

              Submit our 2021 state dues of $10 by December 31.

If you are having difficulty completing and submitting your membership
online, you may also mail your $10 state dues to the Federation Center, 119
S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205. Please include your full address,
email and phone number and someone from the computer science division will
call you to complete your online form and information required by nationals.

              Notify David Houck at the Center by calling 803-254-3777 if
you plan to attend the statewide seminar on January 9, 2021.

David emails me a list each week of those attending in-person or through
zoom. All chapter and division presidents along with members of all three
boards-Federation Center, NFB of SC, and Rocky Bottom are required to
attend. Those who let David know by January 5 how you plan to attend the
statewide seminar, your name will be entered into a $50 gift card drawing on
January 9. You must be present on zoom or in-person if your name is
selected. I hope to see as many members as possible in zoom or in-person for
this annual event which is like a mid-year one-day convention. Other
affiliates are welcome to attend and have their names entered into our
drawing.

              Chapter and division presidents, submit your financial reports
for 2020 by January 31 2021 to the state office.

              Notify David Houck at the Center by calling 803-254-3777 if
you plan to attend the leadership seminar on April 10, 2021.

This event is required for all chapter and division presidents along with
all members of the three boards in SC. We welcome everyone in the Palmetto
state and those in our affiliates around the country.

Increase or hop on the PAC plan by May 31, 2021 to have your name entered
into a $100 gift card drawing.

              Submit new chapter and division officers to Steve Cook, Thom
Spittle and me by December 31, 2020 so that it can be updated on the website
and membership roster.

If these officers are the same as 2020, please still let us know so that our
website and other lists are updated accurately.

Sports and Rec Division

The NFB of SC now has a Sports and Rec Division. I am excited to see how
this division grows in the Palmetto state. This division emphasizes healthy
eating and exercise and includes recreational activities like reading,
cooking, gardening, and more. We hope you will support this division and
become members for just $5 per year. The 2021 officers are:

David Rebocho, President

Matthew Duffell-Hoffman, Vice President

Cheri Euton, Secretary/Treasurer

Movie Night

Our movie night on December 23 was a huge success as we watched audio
described Christmas with the Cranks. We had 25 participants including
members from NC, NJ, IL, FL, SC and other affiliates. We will be having a
fun Friday night once per month hosted by the NFB of SC to include: trivia,
name that tune, interactive activities, and additional audio described
movies. Our next fun Friday night will be Friday, January 15 at 8:00 eastern
with name that tune! All are welcome, come join your Palmetto affiliate!

>From Steve Cook

The upcoming weekly Zoom events can now be found on Newsline! The article
list the date, name of the event and the time. Also, listed is the
information you will need to call in using your phone. Thank you to MS.
Cummings for speaking out about a challenge she was having knowing when all
the zoom events took place. Since she does not use a computer and used
Newsline on her phone, we created a solution that will hopefully assist
others.

Recipe Group via Email

>From Steve Cook

Do you have a favorite recipe that people always ask you for? Do you enjoy
learning about new recipes? Do you enjoying trying new food? Here is your
opportunity to all of the above an more! I have created a group for people
to Exchange Recipes and the discussion of recipes. Below is the Email
address for you to subscribe To this new group. Just a friendly reminder to
also put the word subscribe in the subject line.

RecipeExchange+subscribe at groups.io
<mailto:RecipeExchange+subscribe at groups.io>

              PAC Plan Challenge:

              We will be running a contest from December 5, 2020  through
May 31, 2021 for our NFB of SC affiliate. We are currently 13 and would like
to be in the top 10 or higher. One of our members would like to see us as an
affiliate contribute $1,500 to PAC each month between chapters, divisions,
individuals and our NFB of SC affiliate. If you join PAC, your name will be
entered into a drawing for a $100 visa gift card. If you increase your PAC
donation, your name will be entered into a different $100 visa gift card
drawing. I have a list of chapters, divisions, and individuals who are on
PAC at this time. On June 1, I will ask the national office for another list
which I will use to have the two drawings on June 1. There are many ways to
give. Below, is a little about PAC.

              Thank you for your interest in the National Federation of the
Blind's Pre-Authorized Contribution (PAC) program. This program allows you
to contribute to the NFB through recurring monthly donations. These can be
direct withdrawals from a checking account or charges to a credit card.
Please contact pac at nfb.org <mailto:pac at nfb.org>  with any questions. Thank
you for your generosity.

              You can go to https://www.nfb.org/pac to complete the online
form.

              You may also call the national office at 410-659-9314
extension 2622 or email PAC at nfb.org <mailto:PAC at nfb.org>  with questions.

              There are several chapters and divisions within our state who
are on PAC and we are grateful for those contributions. There are
individuals who are on PAC and we are appreciative of those members who give
each month. As an affiliate, we are averaging $17.41 per person and less
than 10% of our members are on PAC. Let's see if we can increase those
percentages to over $20 per month and have at least 20% of our members on
PAC. I appreciate you considering to get on the PAC plan or increasing your
donation each month!

SC/Palmetto Connects

              We will have our next SC connects meeting on Thursday, January
7 2021 at 5:00 p.m. Please encourage your chapters, divisions, committees to
attend to learn about the latest happenings in the NFB of SC!

Statewide Seminar

              Our statewide seminar will be held January 9 at the Center in
Columbia from 10:00 until 4:00. This will be a hybrid seminar meaning you
can attend in-person and over Zoom so as many individuals can participate as
possible. Please make plans to attend in-person or through Zoom. Please
call, text or email me with suggested agenda items. Please also call David
at the Center at 803-254-3777 to let us know if you will be attending in
person. First come, first serve as we have limited seats to effectively
promote social distancing at the Center. Chapter and division presidents
along with FCB, NFB of SC, and Rocky Bottom board members are required to
attend via zoom or in-person.

              If you notify David Houck by January 5, 2021 whether you plan
to attend on zoom or in-person, your name will be entered into a $50 gift
card drawing. You must be present to win. There will be additional door
prizes throughout the seminar; only individuals who notify David by calling
803-254-3777 or emailing nfbsc at sc.rr.com <mailto:nfbsc at sc.rr.com>  about
your zoom or in-person attendance will be entered into the $50 gift card
drawing.

              Leadership Seminar:

              Our next leadership seminar will be April 10, 2021 at the
Federation Center. All presidents of divisions and chapters along with
Federation Center board members, Rocky Bottom board members and NFB of SC
board members are required to attend in-person or through zoom. Others who
are interested are welcome to attend via zoom or in-person as well.

              If you notify David Houck by April 5, 2021 whether you plan to
attend on zoom or in-person, your name will be entered into a $50 gift card
drawing. You must be present to win. There will be additional door prizes
throughout the seminar; only individuals who notify David by calling
803-254-3777 or emailing nfbsc at sc.rr.com <mailto:nfbsc at sc.rr.com>  about
your zoom or in-person attendance will be entered into the $50 gift card
drawing.

              We plan to have door prizes at each of these seminars on
January 9 and April 10. Calling David Houck at the Center at 803-254-3777
will guarantee your name will be entered into a separate drawing for
registered in-person and zoom attendees of a $50 gift card for each seminar
that will be drawn at an undisclosed time during each seminar and you must
be present to win. . Anyone who attends via zoom or in-person will be
eligible for door prizes and must be present to win, even if, you do not
register prior to the seminars. Only registered individuals who call David
Houck to let us know how you will be participating either in-person or zoom
will be entered into the $50 gift card drawing for each seminar.

              The following meetings are scheduled on the Zoom platform this
week. You are welcome to attend any of these meetings, even if you are not a
member of the chapter or committee.  All Committee meetings are open to the
public for listening. Contact President Bazer if you would like to be added
to any NFB of SC committee so that information stays current on our website
and membership list.

              Here is what is coming up on Zoom for the week of December 28
2020 and January 4 2021. All meetings are on the main Federation ID of
803-254-3777, unless noted.

Monday, December 28, Doing our Fair Share, 7:00 pm

Saturday, January 2, Greenville Chapter Meeting, 11:00 A.M.

Monday, January 4, We Care Committee, 6:00 p.m.

Monday, January 4, Fund Raising Committee, 8:00 p.m.

Tuesday, January 5, Legislative Committee, 8:00 p.m.

Thursday, January 7, Palmetto Connects, 5:00 p.m.

Friday, January 8, Meet the Blind Committee, 6:00 p.m.

Saturday, January 9, Statewide Seminar, 10:00 until 4:00

              NFB of SC Federation Center is inviting you to a scheduled
Zoom meeting.

Topic: NFB of SC Chapter and Committee meetings

Times are in  Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

Pledges

              If you made a pledge at our state convention banquet in
August, those tax -deductible contributions are due at the Center no later
than December 31, 2020. If you did not make a pledge, but wish to donate to
the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, please send
donations to 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205. You may also pay on
our website at www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>  and look for the
donations link to pay through pay Pal. Thank you to all of those
individuals, chapters, and divisions who have fulfilled their pledges. I
will list all donors in the first Positive Note of 2021.

Online Membership Enrollment

              Big News! The National Federation of the Blind of SC now has
an online enrollment membership form to pay your 2021 state dues. You will
be able to fill out the form online to provide the state office with updated
personal and contact information. You will also be able to pay your $10
state dues via secure Pay Pal. You will still need to pay your
chapter/division dues on the local level. After submitting the membership
form, you will be provided with a link to pay your $10 state dues through
Pay Pal. Your membership will not be confirmed until payment has been
received. After paying your $10 state dues via Pay Pal, we will receive a
message stating you have paid your state dues to confirm your membership.
Then you will be sent a message with a copy of your receipt for confirmation
later in the day. Please retain this confirmation for your records and proof
of payment.  Also, Pay Pal charges the NFB of SC a percentage for each
transaction. We would greatly appreciate you adding an extra $0.30 for every
$10 to your donation to offset this charge. So, $10.30, $20.60 and so on.

              If you need assistance completing the online form, you are
welcome to call Steve and Shannon Cook to help at (803) 254-0222. Leave a
message with your name and contact number if we are unavailable to answer
the phone.

              Thank you to those who have already paid your state dues! We
hope to see close to 100% of dues paid by December 31. Our membership
committee along with the help of our district reps will follow-up as we get
closer to the end of the year to assist those in completing their membership
form so that we can have all completed documentation to the national office
in a timely manner. This has normally been due at the end of January to pay
your state dues; however, that does not give me time to submit all necessary
data to the national office by January 31. We want to be prompt in our
membership dues and information to President Riccobono.  https://forms.
gle/MGYktJPG3SatVBFWA

              If you do not have a credit or debit card to pay your state
dues online, please mail your $10 dues to David at the Federation Center,
119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205. Once it has been received,
someone from our Computer Science and Technology Division will call you to
assist you in completing the online form with all your contact information
that national headquarters is obtaining. If you are sending in your $10 via
mail, please include your full name, address, phone number, and email
address so that we may reach out to you to gather additional required
information.

Nationally:

Attend the First 2021 Presidential Release  <x-apple-data-detectors://19> on
January 4-Captioning and Spanish Available:

The January Presidential Release of the National Federation of the Blind
will be delivered on World Braille Day- <x-apple-data-detectors://20>
Monday, January 4-at 8:00 p.m. eastern. After the remarks, there is an
opportunity for questions. Submit questions in advance tocdanielsen at nfb.org
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>  and put PR501 in the subject line, or call
410-659-9314, extension 2473 <tel:410-659-9314;2473> . Closed captions and
Spanish interpretation will be available. Zoom details coming soon.

Final Thought: "Every day is a new beginning. Treat it that way. Stay away
from what might have been, and look at what can be." - Marsha Petrie Sue

NFB Pledge - I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National
Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for
the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to
abide by its constitution.

NFB One Minute Message - "The National Federation of the Blind knows that
blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every
day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations
create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back."

If this message was forwarded to you and you would like to receive it
directly in your inbox, as well as, receive messages regarding the National
Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, please email Steve Cook at
cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com> .