[NFB_of_Georgia] What I Would Like To See Improve In My Local Area | The Blind Advocate Network

Armando Vias avias at theblindadvocate.net
Sun Feb 16 20:40:31 UTC 2020

I apologize for the spelling error in the previous email. It has been fixed.
https://theblindadvocate.net/what-i-would-like-to-see-improve/

What I Would Like To See Improve In My Local Area
In this post, I discuss what I would like to see improve in my local area.

Photo Description: Close up of right hand holding black handle of white cane.
As you may or may not be aware, there are blind people who like to travel as well. I live in an area with some lack of public transportation. Yes, we have Uber and Lyft, but if blind people travel long-distances from their home to work and back, it would be very expensive for them. Here is my take on what I would like to see improved in my local area.

More Access To Public Transportation

Yes, that’s right. Large cities, such as Atlanta, Chicago, etc. have rail systems e.g., MARTA in Atlanta. For my local area, I would like to see more bus routes built all across the city. All buses should have major stops, such as the local major hospital. This could be helpful if someone can’t drive to the hospital, and can’t afford an Uber or a Lyft due to their distance away from the hospital. Also, if someone goes to a grocery store, such as Kroger, Wal-Mart, Target, etc., all buses should stop at those stores. This would help everyone who doesn’t drive a car, and also people who are blind or low-vision, live independent lives without relying on someone to take them places. Blind people can just get on a bus at their nearest bus stop and ride to the store.

More Blindness Organizations/Chapters

If you read my “About The Blind Advocate Network” page, you already know that I’m a proud member of this organization called the National Federation of the Blind, (NFB), the largest/oldest organization in the United States! What I would like to see in my area is a local or a regional chapter of this organization being built. This chapter will advocate for our rights of blind people. We do not advocate for the blind. We do it for ourselves.

That’s It.

That is it for now. My top concern is public transportation. If we can improve on the public transportation scale e.g., adding new buses, adding more stops to meet everyone’s needs, not just the blind, and improving access to ticket kiosks for blind people.

Want to help this website grow bigger and more functional with tons of features? Consider Contributing to The Blind Advocate Network Fund.

Click here to go to the “Contribute” page.

—
Armando Vias
Owner of The Blind Advocate Network
Website: https://theblindadvocate.net
Email: avias at theblindadvocate.net
Like my page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theblindadvocatenetwork
Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/theblndadvn
“Getting advocacy results for the blind.”