[NFB_of_Georgia] Safe Sitter Online Program Prepares Gwinnett County Students grades 6 To 8 to Be Safe When Home Alone

Jo Ann Collins-Johnson joann369 at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 30 13:43:57 UTC 2020

Hello Gwinnett County Parents & Students Grades 6th to 8th,

Two (2) spots are being held for this great opportunity for blind and visually impaired students in grades 6th through 8th living in Gwinnett County to join the NFB Gwinnett Family Chapter as we partner with Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services to include our blind and visually impaired youth in their Fire Prevention and Life Safety Digital Learning Programs due to Covid19 offered online, starting with a baby-sitting safety class set for July 11 from 9:00am to 4:00pm.

Safe Sitter will prepare students in grades 6 to 8 to be safe when they're home alone, watching younger siblings, or babysitting. Using games and role-playing, the instructor-led class will teach CPR, first aid, and rescue skills as well as child care and business skills.

To receive their course completion certificate, students must demonstrate their knowledge in a hands-on assessment on July 18. Times have been scheduled and will be held at Gwinnett Fire Headquarters. Class sizes are limited to a total of eight students and I have requested 2 of those spots for blind and visually impaired students.

It is very important if interested and you are a resident of Gwinnett County and a student in grades 6th to 8th that you must contact me by this Saturday, July 5, 2020.

The NFB of Gwinnett Family Chapter will continue to plan and seek out programs to improve the quality of life of the blind, educate the public about the misconceptions and lack of information which exist about blindness and to advance the general welfare of blind residents in and around Gwinnett County.

Please do not miss out on this great FREE opportunity.

Sincerely,

Jo Ann Johnson, President

Gwinnett Family Chapter

Phone:  (678) 451-3975