[NFB_of_Georgia] President's Notebook

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Wed Mar 25 01:59:00 UTC 2020

President’s Notebook
National Federation of the BlindMark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org410-659-9314Critical Actions:

*COVID-19 Resources:*The National Federation of the Blind is compiling
resources that may be particularly useful to blind people facing challenges
during the COVID-19 emergency. This includes Federation resources such as
NFB-NEWSLINE® and distance-education initiatives as well as other resources
as they are made available. This information can be found at
http://www.nfb.org/covid19.  With directives being different from state to
state, the Federation recommends connecting to affiliate presidents for
state and local resources. If you have found other resources that may be
useful, please email the information tocommunicationsteam at nfb.org.

*Accessible Executive Orders:*We have urged the governors of all states to
ensure that their executive orders regarding the coronavirus emergency are
posted to the internet in accessible formats that blind people using
screen-access technology can easily download and read. The full press
release is available on our website in our Press Room
<https://www.nfb.org/about-us/press-room/national-federation-blind-urges-governors-issue-accessible-executive-orders>
.

*Vote by Mail:*Has your state moved its 2020 primary election or upcoming
local elections to all vote-by-mail because of the coronavirus pandemic?
Vote-by-mail can be made accessible with electronic-ballot delivery, but
many elections officials are unfamiliar with these systems. The *Accessible
Vote-by-Mail Toolkit*, developed by the National Federation of the Blind
with grant funds from the US Department of Health and Human Services, will
provide our members with the information they need to know to advocate for
accessible vote-by-mail. Visit our Voting, Accessibility, and the Law
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/national-center-nonvisual-election-3>
webpage
to download a BRF or MS Word file of the toolkit. You will also find many
other important voting-related resources on this webpage.  If you have
questions or need assistance in your advocacy efforts, please contact Lou
Ann Blake, deputy executive director of Blindness Initiatives at
lblake at nfb.org or 410-659-9314, extension 2221.

*Virtual Instruction for Students During COVID-19 School Closures:*We
continue to work to support students whose coursework has shifted to
inaccessible web-based educational technology. We are particularly
interested in hearing from students who are directed to use Florida Virtual
Schools (FLVS), McGraw-Hill’s ALEKS or Connect, or Pearson’s MyLab or
Mastering products. Please complete the NFB’s education technology survey
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/education-technology-survey>
if
you use any of these products, so that we can monitor their accessibility.

News:
*COVID-19 Update - Jernigan Institute:*Per the March 23, 2020, executive
order of the Maryland governor regarding the closure of non-essential
businesses, the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute will be
closing until further notice. However, we will continue our important work
remotely for now. While much of our program service continues, this closure
means we are not able to operate our Independence Market, resulting in our
inability to ship literature and materials to blind people, which includes
our free white cane program.

*Blog Post - Coming Together During COVID-19:*The National Federation of
the Blind is monitoring the disproportionate impact that the COVID-19
emergency is having on blind people. In our recent blog, Liz Wisecarver,
chair of the NFB Communication Committee, touches on a few of the current
concerns like transportation and access to information, and how we address
the issue at all levels of the organization with Zoom meetings and
training, advocacy specific to COVID-19 impact, and providing resources
related to this time. Read*Voice of the Nation’s Blind Blog*
<https://www.nfb.org/blog/coming-together-during-covid-19-concerns-and-connections>
*.*

*COVID-19 Information Available in Braille and Audio:*COVID-19 news updates
are available in the "Breaking News" category of NFB-NEWSLINE® and are now
available throughout the United States, including Puerto Rico. This
includes states that do not have a sponsor for the NFB-NEWSLINE service and
are therefore usually only able to receive limited content. Because the
content can be accessed with Braille devices such as notetakers and
refreshable Braille displays, it is also available to deafblind individuals
who cannot get timely information from radio or television. Learn how to access
the “Breaking News” section
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-newsline>.

*Taking a Break with Podcasts and Reading:*While people should stay
informed of COVID-19, take some time away from it as well. Catch up on
the *Nation’s
Blind Podcast*
<https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/nations-blind-podcast>.
The latest episode touches on what it means to live the life you want
with *Braille
Monitor *editor, Gary Wunder. Additionally, read the latest *Braille
Monitor*
<https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/braille-monitor>
and *Future
Reflections*
<https://www.nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/future-reflections>.
If you have not already, please complete the quick, five-minute *Braille
Monitor *survey <https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BrailleMonitor>.

*From Advocacy and Policy:*Thanks to all of our members who responded to
our two legislative alerts last week. The first legislative alert pertained
to the Access Technology Affordability Act. The second legislative alert
urged our members to contact their senators and representative to
oppose a provision
in one of the coronavirus relief bills which would have potentially waived
parts of the Individuals with Disabilities Education (IDEA) Act during this
coronavirus pandemic. As a result of our advocacy, this waiver authority
was modified to be a thirty-day study.

In addition, the National Federation of the Blind has been urging Congress
to take three specific measures to ensure that the rights blind Americans
have spent years fighting for are not forgotten during this time of crisis
and hardship.

With respect to the SSDI program, we are asking that Congress instruct the
Social Security Administration to waive the five-month waiting period to
receive benefits. We are also asking that the twenty-four-month waiting
period for Medicare benefits be waived. The elimination of these waiting
periods will allow much-needed benefits to flow more quickly to those who
apply during the COVID-19 pandemic.

We are exploring other aspects of the legislation to improve
transportation, access to testing, and equal access to training and
information as a result of the coronavirus.

Finally, we are asking Congress to appropriate emergency funds to help
support Randolph-Sheppard vendors who have lost business due to the
COVID-19 pandemic.

This morning the Senate is going to vote on an amended version of the third
coronavirus relief bill. We will be examining the contents of this bill as
soon as it is available to the public and determine next steps.

Dream Makers Circle State Affiliate Flyer Available:
During the Presidents’ Retreat, a request was made for a flyer specific to
affiliates about planned giving
<https://www.nfb.org/get-involved/ways-give/planned-giving> opportunities.
You can now request a printable flier for your state affiliate to use when
speaking with people about leaving a legacy to the Federation. Remember
that whether a gift is given to our national organization or one of our
affiliates, the donor is inducted into our Dream Makers Circle. To obtain
the printable flyer, please reach out to Suzanne Shaffer at sshaffer at nfb.org.
For information about legacy giving or our Dream Makers Circle, contact
Patti Chang at pchang at nfb.org.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

   - Spring Conventions
   <https://www.nfb.org/about-us/state-affiliates/state-conventions> (including
   new dates for postponed conventions)
   - March 31: Deadline for scholarship applications
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program>
   - April 15: Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award <https://www.nfb.org/bolotin>
application
   deadline