[NFB_of_Georgia] President's Notebook

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Tue Sep 1 00:43:24 UTC 2020

President’s NotebookNational Federation of the BlindMark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org410-659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

With Labor Day approaching, the unofficial close of the summer is here.
Many of you are getting ready to send your children back to school
(virtually or otherwise); a number of you have already done so.

I want to let you know that I have heard from Pam Allen in Louisiana.
Assessment of the impact of hurricane Laura on our members is still
happening. You may have heard that much of Ruston continues to be without
power not to mention the damage in other cities that is being highly
covered by the media. If we learn of unmet needs among our Louisiana
family, we will definitely put out the word.

Below is the usual list of interesting announcements, reminders, and
important things you should know about for this week. Stay safe and enjoy a
relaxing Labor Day as we move into a busy fall season during the next
couple weeks.

News:Presidential Release Tuesday Night:

The September Presidential Release
<https://www.nfb.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=400> of the National
Federation of the Blind will be Tuesday, September 1, at 8:00 p.m. eastern
for all members, and non-members are warmly welcomed. The release will also
be offered with Spanish translation and closed captions. The is a free-form
event, so a transcript will be made available forty-eight hours afterwards.
Note: the Spanish translation has separate Zoom details. We look forward to
your participation!

DOT Announced Extension of the Quiet Car Rule:

The US Department of Transportation announced a six-month extension for the
quiet car rule, part of the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act that requires
audible sounds be equipped on electric and hybrid electric vehicles to help
all pedestrians, especially blind pedestrians, be aware when a vehicle is
nearby. This extension is needed in response to COVID-19-related
manufacturing delays. The National Federation of the Blind recognizes the
impact of COVID-19 on the automobile industry and believes that the DOT’s
action strikes an appropriate balance while continuing to ensure
implementation of the law. Learn more about our advocacy for the Pedestrian
Safety Enhancement Act
<https://www.nfb.org/sites/www.nfb.org/files/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm17/bm1704/bm170403.htm>
.

*NFB-Branded Masks Available Soon—Preorder Yours Now:*

We have ordered a limited number of branded, fabric masks with our logo
prominently displayed that will be carried in our Independence Market. The
face masks are medium blue with our logo centered in white. The face
covering is approximately seven and one-fourth inches by four and
three-fourths inches. The inside of the mask is white soft fabric. There
are loops that go over the ears. We are taking preorders for masks, which
will be available around the beginning of October. The cost will be $4.00
per mask or $10.00 for three masks, plus shipping and handling. Please note
that these masks are not eligible for Free Matter shipping so we will be
shipping them by UPS ground. To reserve your mask(s), call the Independence
Market at 410-659-9314, extension 2216. We will contact you for payment,
once the masks arrive at NFB headquarters.

Zoom Security Change:

Please note that there is a change to Zoom security coming at the end of
next month. As of September 27, all Zoom meetings will require either a
passcode or a waiting room. The passcode can be embedded in the Zoom
meeting hyperlink but will need to be keyed in along with the meeting ID
for those not using the hyperlink. Zoom meetings can be configured in a way
that phone participants are not required to enter a Zoom passcode. A
waiting room will require the meeting’s host or co-hosts to admit each
attendee into the main meeting. With some work up front, it is possible to
whitelist some attendees into the meeting automatically. Please keep this
in mind for your fall convention sessions. More information can be found on
the Zoom website at
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360045009111-FAQ-Meetings-Waiting-Room-and-Passcode-Requirements-September-27-2020
.

Meet the Blind Month:

The National Federation of the Blind celebrates Meet the Blind Month every
October, with members conducting outreach activities across the country. If
you are looking for ideas, a recommendation is to focus on lived
experiences with problem solving, self-confidence, and intersectionality.
Plan a virtual event in your local community to talk about blindness and
the Federation philosophy. Invite schools, libraries, and other
establishments. The Courtesy Rules of Blindness resource
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/meet-blind-month/courtesy-rules-blindness>
 or White Cane Awareness Day resources
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/meet-blind-month/white-cane-awareness-day>
are
great to share. If needed, there is still time to order materials from the
Independence Market such as Braille alphabet cards. Send the date of your
event and a brief description to web at nfb.org. Please use #MeetTheBlind in
social media.

*Infrared Thermometers Available:*

During the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, we are all more conscious about
monitoring our health by checking our body temperature. The Independence
Market can help. We currently have a talking infrared thermometer available
for ordering. By the end of September, we will also have a talking oral
thermometer back in stock. To place an order, please call the Independence
Market at 410-659-9314, extension 2216.

Nonvisual Access Conference—Access Technology and Structured Discovery:

The National Federation of the Blind is hosting an all-virtual conference,
September 24 and 25, with sessions and panels discussing the intersection
of access technology and the structured discovery training model used in
other areas of blindness skills training. Especially with the virtual
school year beginning, this is great for teachers of blind students and
blindness professionals. Learn more about the Nonvisual Access Conference
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/nonvisual-access-conference>
.
*2020 Online Research Platform Study:*

This week, we are continuing our work with HathiTrust to conduct a study on
the accessibility and usability of an online research platform. We are
having our first orientation Tuesday, September 1 to discuss what will be
expected of the participants. We are still recruiting participants, so if
you are a college student, higher-education faculty member, or other
professional conducting academic research, please complete this survey
<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/C5KDN7G> in order to be considered to
participate in the study. All who complete the survey will be entered into
a drawing.

*STEM Update:*

For the past twenty years we have worked to increase access for blind
students in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and
mathematics. Though it will be different than originally planned, our
latest program, STEM2U, will continue this mission. Earlier this spring,
fifteen affiliates were chosen to host STEM2U programs in their states.
These programs will now be virtual, meaning students will have the
opportunity to learn from a greater number of mentors and peers. STEM2U
programs will be held on Saturday, October 17, and Saturday, November 14.
If you or your STEM2U coordinator have any questions, please reach out to
Karen Anderson at kanderson at nfb.org or 410-659-9314, extension 2243.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

   - September 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
   - September 13: Open-House Gathering call, 4:00 p.m. eastern
   - October 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
   - October: Meet the Blind Month
   - November 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
   - December 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m. eastern
   - December 9: Open-House Gathering call, 8:00 p.m. eastern
   - February 8, 2021: Washington Seminar Great Gathering-In

dgriffin at nfbga.org