[NFB_of_Georgia] NFB President’s Notebook - Week of 04/06/2021

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Wed Apr 7 23:09:08 UTC 2021

Dear Fellow Federationists,

April is in full swing, the country is rounding the corner regarding the
COVID-19 virus, and our organization is pursuing many priorities with speed
and strength. I hope you all have found our training with RAINN useful for
level-setting our expectations around addressing misconduct and responding
to survivors. This is only the beginning, so please share your ideas for
additional training.

I urge you to take action on the below item related to the For the People
Act (S.1) and gain immediate support from your senators for our position.

Please continue to push registration for our 2021 National Convention.
During our Presidential Release Live on Monday,, our Maryland affiliate had
a promo for the convention, including a contest for naming voices and songs
as part of the promo. I understand that no one has gotten the right answer
yet, so use that as a tool to promote the convention and registration. You
can find the audio from that promo at http://www.nfb.org/convention. It
will be there until someone gets the right answers.

Stay safe and keep building the Federation.

 *Letter to Senate on For the People Act (S. 1):*

On April 1, I wrote a letter to Senators Klobuchar and Merkley
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/letter-senators-klobuchar-and-merkley-regarding-s-1>
regarding
two provisions in the For the People Act (S. 1). The letter has been
emailed to all one hundred United States senators. Please amplify this
letter by sending it to your two senators and requesting a meeting to
discuss. Please invite Jeff Kaloc (jkaloc at nfb.org) to this meeting.

 *Register for the 2021 NFB National Convention:*

The 2021 National Federation of the Blind National Convention is July 6
through July 10. Registration is open and free. By registering, you will
get access to the latest information as it is made available, the
opportunity to win door prizes, and more! Register for the 2021 NFB
National Convention online now.
<https://www.nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=432> Or, if someone
you know needs help with registration or would prefer to email or mail in a
registration, please use the 2021 National Convention Registration Form
(fillable PDF)
<https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/files-pdf/2021-national-convention-registration-form-fillable-web.pdf>
.

*News:*

*Door Prizes:*

We are accepting door prizes for the 2021 National Convention. We request
cash donations so that we can distribute gift cards and gift certificates
as prizes. Cash donations make it easier to create prize groups and to
distribute prizes from one location. Please make your checks payable to
National Federation of the Blind and write Door Prizes in the memo. You
should mail the check to National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells
Street, Baltimore, MD 21230, Attention: Fiscal Services - DP. By addressing
the check this way, we will easily identify it as a door prize and process
it accordingly. You can also send an email to prize at nfb.org to let us know
you are sending a contribution for the door prizes and the full name of the
organization that the contribution is from. We want to make sure we
recognize your organization in our thank-you list. You can contact Bridgid
Burke (bburke at nfb.org or extension 2271) or Belinda Hooks (bhooks at nfb.org or
extension 2508) with any questions. We are looking forward to another
informative, fun, and prize-filled convention.

*Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act (H.R. 2373):*

Yesterday Chairman of the House Education and Labor Committee, Bobby Scott
(VA-3) reintroduced the Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment
Act (H.R. 2373). This bill would discontinue the use of special wage
certificates and phase out subminimum wages for people with disabilities
over a four-year period. Please contact your representatives and ask them
to cosponsor this legislation.

*Comments to Rehabilitation Services Administration Regarding Competitive
Integrated Employment:*

On March 31, the National Federation of the Blind submitted comments to the
Rehabilitation Services Administration
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/comments-rsa-faq-regarding-criterion-integrated>
regarding
an FAQ the agency released pertaining to the definition of competitive
integrated employment. Our comprehensive comments can be found on the Policy
Statements <https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements> page
of nfb.org.

*Independence Market April “Products of the Month” and Sale Items:*

This month the Independence Market has two products of the month. The first
is a Micro-Speak Talking Digital Voice Recorder (8 gig) that is priced at
$60. The second is a Wilson Digital Voice Recorder (Version 8) priced at
$42. Either (or both) of these items can be purchased by contacting the
Independence Market at 410-659-9314, extension 2216, or by email at
Independencemarket at nfb.org.

The sale items for the month of April are:

Plastic Envelope Writing Guide - $1

Plastic Letter Writing Guide - $1

2x Illuminated Magnifier with 6X Insert and Folding Handle - $5

Supplies are limited, so for more information or to purchase any of the
items listed above, contact the Independence Market at 410-659-9314,
extension 2216, or by email at Independencemarket at nfb.org.

*Collections Advisory Council:*

The Jacobus tenBroek Library is looking to put together an advisory council
of people who are aligned with the missions of the National Federation of
the Blind and possess an interest in history, research, literature,
museums, archives, and other related subjects. If you are interested or
would like more information, please contact Nichole Chrissis at
nchrissis at nfb.org.

*Blind Driver Challenge Update: Partnering with Cruise:*

The National Federation of the Blind and the San Francisco-based,
zero-emission, self-driving company Cruise are sponsoring racecar driver
Dan Parker in his fall 2021 attempt to break the Guinness World Record for
the “Fastest Speed for a Car Driven Blindfolded” as part of the Blind
Driver Challenge. It’s more than a race—we are accelerating the challenge
in 2021 because the need for urgency in the development and implementation
of accessibility in emerging technology is even greater. Read the full
partnership announcement from April 5
<https://nfb.org/about-us/press-room/cruise-sponsor-racecar-driver-dan-parker-blind-driver-challenge>
and
check out the video teaser <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VuUKIBVuvM>.

*Upcoming Nonvisual Access Events: Testing and Google Workplace:*

Accessibility boutiques and seminars are National Federation of the Blind
workshops presented by our access technology experts that provide
introductions to accessibility best practices and the latest trends in
access tech. Below are two upcoming accessibility events to share.

   - April 14: A Deep Dive into Accessibility Testing
   - April 27: Accessibility of Google Workplace

Learn more and register at nfb.org/boutiques
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques>
.

*Latest Blog Post: “Surviving Domestic Violence: I Found My Way Out”:*

The *Voice of the Nation's Blind Blog* highlights personal experiences and
stories of blind people. In the recent article, Cheryl Fields shares about
the pathway of healing and journey to peace. Read the blog, "Surviving
Domestic Violence: I Found My Way Out
<https://nfb.org/blog/surviving-domestic-violence-i-found-my-way-out>." If
you are interested in sharing a story, please email
CommunicationsTeam at nfb.org.

*The April Braille Monitor Is Available:*

The latest issue of the National Federation of the Blind flagship
publication is now available. Read about national convention, stories from
members, raising expectations, and more. Access the *Braille Monitor* now
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm21/bm2104/bm2104tc.htm>.

*Affiliate Mentoring Program:*

Affiliate leaders interested in learning more about developing an NFB
affiliate mentoring program in your state are cordially invited to join us
on Wednesday, April 14, from 4:00 to 5:30 p.m. eastern, to hear from a
dynamic panel discussion on the topic of “All You Wanted to Know About
Developing an NFB Affiliate Mentoring Program” followed by Q&A.

Join Zoom Meeting: https://zoom.us/j/8451905685

Meeting ID: 845 190 5685

One tap mobile: +13017158592,,8451905685# US (Washington DC)
16468769923,,8451905685# US +(New York)

Dial by your location

+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)

+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)

Meeting ID: 845 190 5685

*Thanks Go Out to Our Kansas Affiliate:*

Special thanks go to the NFB of Kansas for their generous contribution.
Your work is much appreciated.

*Dates to Keep in Mind:*

(all times eastern)

   - April 15: Bolotin Awards <https://www.nfb.org/bolotin> nominations
   deadline
   - April 15: Survivor Task Force Open Call
   - April 18: Survivor Task Force Open Call
   - May 1: Distinguished Educator of Blind Children Award
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/distinguished-educator-blind-students-award>
   nominations deadline
   - May 3: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - May 7: NFB BELL® Academy application
   <https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy> deadline (for
   session one)
   - May 10: NFB EQ application <http://www.nfb.org/eq> deadline
   - June 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - July 6-10: NFB National Convention, anywhere and everywhere

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>