[NFB_of_Georgia] President's Notebook Week of April 12, 2021

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Tue Apr 13 22:17:34 UTC 2021

Dear Fellow Federationists,

*News:*

 *Safety and Support Open Meetings on Code of Conduct FAQs (CC and Spanish
Available):*

The Survivors Task Force invites Federationists and members of the blind
community to attend one of two planned open calls to review the Code of
Conduct Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and to collect feedback on the
Code of Conduct itself. Scheduled calls are on Thursday, April 15, and
Sunday, April 18, from 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm eastern. Zoom details available.
Learn more at
https://nfb.org/programs-services/safety-support/safety-support-upcoming-events

*Code of Conduct on NFB-NEWSLINE®:*

The Code of Conduct and the related FAQs are now available on NFB-NEWSLINE
under the NFB National Channel. These documents are available in both text
and audio formats.  You can also visit:  nfb.org/codeofconduct.

*Lyft Offering Free Rides to Federation Members:*

Our rideshare partners at Lyft, through their LyftUp Vaccine Access
program, will be providing access to free and donated rides. The code is
being made available for use through April 30. It should be used to travel
to and from COVID-19 vaccination appointments. There will be a code for
dose one and a separate code for dose two. Members will need to contact
affiliate presidents to receive a code and must submit the name of the
individual requesting the code, their city and state, and a description of
how the code will be used. Please do not share or post on social media.

*Promote Special Offerings at #NFB21: *

State affiliates and national divisions have the opportunity to promote
fundraising items and resources during the 2021 NFB National Convention.
Please contact your state president for more information.

*Summer Program for High School Students: Applications Open for NFB EQ:*

National Federation of the Blind Engineering Quotient (NFB EQ) applications
are open. NFB EQ is going virtual July 5-30. High school students can join
us on a month-long adventure into engineering and problem-solving
activities. No specific level of engineering experience is required. Engage
in activities designed to strengthen knowledge and grow interests. The
deadline to apply is May 10. Learn more and apply now at www.nfb.org/eq.

*Door Prizes:*

We are accepting door prizes for the 2021 National Convention. We request
cash donations so that we can distribute gift cards and gift certificates
as prizes. Cash donations make it easier to create prize groups and to
distribute prizes from one location. Please make your checks payable to
National Federation of the Blind and write Door Prizes in the memo. You
should mail the check to National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells
Street, Baltimore, MD 21230, Attention: Fiscal Services - DP. By addressing
the check this way, we will easily identify it as a door prize and process
it accordingly. You can also send an email to prize at nfb.org to let us know
you are sending a contribution for the door prizes and the full name of the
organization that the contribution is from. We want to make sure we
recognize your organization in our thank-you list. You can contact Bridgid
Burke (bburke at nfb.org or extension 2271) or Belinda Hooks (bhooks at nfb.org or
extension 2508) with any questions. We are looking forward to another
informative, fun, and prize-filled convention.

*Reminders:*

*Apply for 2021 Bolotin Awards:*

The National Federation of the Blind is accepting nominations of
individuals or organizations who are a positive force in the lives of blind
people and help us transform dreams into reality. Each application must
include a letter of recommendation. Learn more and submit a nomination for
the 2021 Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/dr-jacob-bolotin-awards/application-information>

 *Dates to Keep in Mind:*

(all times eastern)

   - April 15: Bolotin Awards <https://www.nfb.org/bolotin> nominations
   deadline
   - April 15: Survivor Task Force Open Call
   - April 18: Survivor Task Force Open Call
   - May 1: Distinguished Educator of Blind Children Award
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/distinguished-educator-blind-students-award>
nominations
   deadline
   - May 3: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - May 7: NFB BELL Academy application
   <https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy> deadline (for
   session one)
   - May 10: NFB EQ application <http://www.nfb.org/eq> deadline
   - June 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - July 6-10: NFB National Convention, anywhere and everywhere

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>

                         [image: Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>    [image: Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>    [image: Youtube]
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we
work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

dgriffin at nfbga.org