[NFB_of_Georgia] President's Notebook December - Week of 12/13/2021

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Tue Dec 14 17:55:47 UTC 2021

Please share with membership that are not on this listserv.

Dear Federation Family,

I just returned from our Louisiana Center for the Blind where I had the
opportunity to help our skilled center staff and colleagues at the
Professional Development and Research Institute on Blindness work with the
Federation’s 2021 Teachers of Tomorrow cohort. We know that our training
centers positively change lives every day, but being on the ground there
really helps to witness the power of our work. If you have not visited one
of our training centers, I strongly encourage you to take time to do so as
part of your own leadership development within the movement.

*News:*

*2022 Washington Seminar Update:*

The 2022 Washington Seminar will take place from Monday, February 7,
through Thursday, February 10, 2022, at the Holiday Inn Washington
Capitol–National Mall. This is the same, familiar location at 550 C St., SW
Washington, DC, that we’ve been going to for decades. As is tradition, the
Great Gathering-In will take place that Monday, February 7, from 5:00 to
7:00 p.m., eastern, and meetings with your members of Congress will take
place the following Tuesday, Wednesday, and for the states with more
representatives, Thursday. Due to social-distancing requirements, we are
allotting only a limited number of participants from each state affiliate,
so we are referring members back to affiliate presidents to discuss
participation in this year’s seminar activities.

For the 2022 Washington Seminar, we are taking four issues to Capitol Hill:

   1. Access Technology Affordability Act (H.R. 431/S. 212)
   2. Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R. 4853)
   3. Twenty-First Century Website and Application Accessibility Act
   4. Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act (H.R. 2373/S.
   3238)

 *Scholarship Applications Open—Share with Students Now:*

The National Federation of the Blind's annual scholarship program is the
largest of its kind in the nation. Every year we award thousands of dollars
to blind scholars across the country and provide them with a trip to
national convention (and more!). The full application is due by March 31,
2022. Learn more and share this opportunity with students and families:
https://nfb.org/scholarships*.*

*Mark Your Calendar for the January Presidential Release:*

The January Presidential Release will take place January 4, 2021, at 8:00
p.m., eastern. The monthly Presidential Release provides important updates
and perspectives of the organized blind movement, and the live event
includes a Q&A session. Submit questions in advance to cdanielsen at nfb.org and
put PR512 in the subject line, or call 410-659-9314, extension 2473. Zoom
details coming soon.

*December Braille Monitor Available:*

The latest issue of the National Federation of the Blind flagship
publication is now available. Read about the 2022 National Convention;
diversity, equity, and inclusion; Blind Equality Achievement Month; and
more stories from members. Access the *Braille Monitor* now
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm21/bm2111/bm2111tc.htm>.

*Final Week to Request Santa or Winter Letter:*

The National Federation of the Blind works to get more Braille into the
hands of blind and low-vision children. We are excited to provide the
option for a Santa or Winter Celebration Braille letter, both in either
English or Spanish. Each letter comes with a fun activity packet and a
print version for the whole family to enjoy. Deadline for requests is
December 17. Request a Santa or a Winter Celebration letter today
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/early-childhood-initiatives/santa-letters/english-form>
.

*More Braille Books from Our Partners, the American Action Fund:*

The American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults Braille Book Program
provides blind children with a free Braille book every month from a popular
children's reading series. Sign up for the program by December 15 to start
getting the 2022 selection in January. Learn about the 2022 Braille Books
Program and how to sign up
<https://www.actionfund.org/programs/braille-books-program>.

*December 15 Seminar: A Guide to Accessible Devices:*

Join the National Federation of the Blind Center for Excellence in
Nonvisual Accessibility and the Maryland Department of Disabilities on
Wednesday, December 15, from 1:00-5:00 p.m., eastern, to learn about
accessible smart speakers, Braille displays, smart-home devices, and
accessible entertainment technology. Register for the December seminar today
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/events>
.

*Independence Market – Products of the Month and Sale Items:*

Products of the Month:

·      Kenneth Jernigan Map of the United States – large, take-apart,
topographical puzzle map for learning about various geographical features
of the United States - $250

·      Magnetic Checkers – portable magnetic checkers’ board; easy to play
on-the-go - $22

·      Phase 10™ Cards (Braille) – popular Phase 10 game with
Braille-labeled cards and play instructions - $15

·      UNO® Cards (NFB Braille Edition) – the classic UNO game with Braille
labeled cards - $10

Sale and Close-out Items:

·      Shut the Box Math game - $10

·      Nine Men Morris game - $10

·      Solitaire and Fox and Geese game - $10

·      Cube clock - $5

·      Camera bag - $1

·      Egg separator - $1

*Dates to Keep in Mind:*

(all times eastern)

   - December 17: Deadline to request Santa or a Winter Celebration Letter
   <https://nfb.org/programs-services/early-childhood-initiatives/santa-letters/english-form>
   - January 4: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
   - February 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
   - February 7: Great Gathering-In, 5:00 p.m.
   - February 7-10: Washington Seminar
   <https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar/>
   - March 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
   - March 31: Deadline to submit scholarship application
   <https://nfb.org/scholarships>
   - July 5-10: National Convention, New Orleans

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>

                         [image: Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>    [image: Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>    [image: Youtube]
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we
work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

Attachments area