[NFB_of_Georgia] President's Notebook - Week of 01/11/2021

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Thu Jan 14 16:07:47 UTC 2021

Dear Fellow Federationists,

This time of year, in the weeks leading up to our Washington Seminar, the
District of Columbia is always on our minds. For many years, we have
visited the House and Senate to further our legislative goals. Though we
will gather on the Hill virtually next month, we are holding Congress,
first responders and others who walk the halls of the Capitol close in our
hearts and minds after last week’s attack. It is unfortunate that we will
not have the opportunity to walk the halls of Congress this year to bring
the positive spirit of the Federation to those quarters. However, we will
have the opportunity to visit with the offices of every member of Congress
virtually. In those meetings we will bring the spirit of a common purpose
and working together. Our issues are not of one party or another; they do
not reflect the priorities of an incoming or outgoing administration. They
are issues for every elected official to support. They are driven by a
diverse set of blind people from around the country. They are issues that
seek to make America a country where we achieve the ideals set forth in our
democracy. Together, through our 2021 Washington Seminar, we will
contribute to bringing the nation together, moving forward, and raising
expectations.

As our chapters begin meeting in 2021 and our affiliate work spins back up,
we should be aware of the struggle many members are having due to the many
competing stresses in their lives. Let's continue to make our chapter and
division meetings meaningful and full of our priorities, but let's also
remember that means having fun and allowing people a safe space to be
supported and empowered. Please share your innovative approaches to help
create healing and forward progress so as to learn from and support each
other.

Critical Actions:*Washington Seminar Fact Sheets and Adjustment to Training
Schedule:*

Thanks to everyone who participated in last week’s Washington Seminar
training. The fact sheets for this year’s Washington Seminar issues (Access
Technology Affordability Act
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar/washington-seminar-agenda/fact-sheet-access>
, Medical Devices Nonvisual Accessibility Act
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar/washington-seminar-agenda/fact-sheet-medical-device>
, Accessible Websites Act
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar/washington-seminar-agenda/fact-sheet-accessible-websites-act>
, Accessible Voting Act
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar/washington-seminar-agenda/fact-sheet-accessible>)
are now posted to our website.

*News*

*NFB-NEWSLINE®—Breaking News Sources Available:*

NFB-NEWSLINE is a free audio news service for anyone who is blind,
low-vision, deafblind, or otherwise print-disabled that offers access to
more than five hundred publications, emergency weather alerts, job
listings, and more. There are more than forty breaking news sources. Stay
informed of the current events happening in our country. Learn more about
nfbnewsline.org <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-newsline>.

*New Partnership with Getty Images and Tactile Images—Take the Quick Poll:*

Getty Images, a world leader in visual communications, and the National
Federation of the Blind, America’s civil rights and membership organization
of the blind, have partnered with Tactile Images to deliver more than
twenty-five million images to the world's blind population at museums,
science centers, libraries, schools, and government agencies. Read the new
partnership press release
<https://www.nfb.org/about-us/press-room/getty-images-partners-national-federation-blind-and-tactile-images-deliver-25>.
As a start to this initiative, please share and complete the three-question
poll: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/tactileimages.

*Scholarship Program–Submit Application Today:*

Share this opportunity that invests in the future of blind people. Every
year, the National Federation of the Blind awards more than $120,000 to
blind scholars across the fifty states, the District of Columbia, and
Puerto Rico in recognition of their achievements and professional
aspirations. The application process is open and we encourage students to
start the process early. Review the scholarship application checklist
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program/scholarship-program-application-checklist>
and
the scholarship program FAQs
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program/scholarship-program-faqs>.
Learn about the eligibility criteria and requirements of the 2021
scholarship program
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program>
and
start the application process now. The deadline to submit is March 31, 2021.

*Walking Alone and Marching Together** has been added to NFB-NEWSLINE:*

You can now access this book detailing the history of the organized blind
movement from 1940 to 1990 on NFB-NEWSLINE. If you are using the telephone
access method, off the main menu, press 1 followed by 1 for the NFB
National Channel, then follow the prompts to read the book. For those using
the NFB-NEWSLINE Mobile app for iOS, select “All Publications” from the
“Information Sources” page and search for *Walking Alone and Marching
Together* to read the book.

*Filing a Complaint with the Department of Education’s Office for Civil
Rights:*

The US Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR) recently
released a short video, *How to File a Complaint*
<https://youtu.be/dvxa5dYNKK8>*, *as a resource for anyone seeking to file
a discrimination complaint with OCR. Please share this link with students,
parents, and other stakeholders in your network.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

   - January 18: Braille Readers Are Leaders
   <https://actionfund.org/programs/braille-readers-are-leaders> registration
   (and page count) deadline
   - January 28: Smart Cities Summit
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/smart-cities-summit>,
   12:00-8:00 p.m.
   - February 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - February 8: Washington Seminar
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar> Great
   Gathering-In
   - March 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - March 24-26: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium
   - March 31: Scholarship application
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program/scholarship-program-application-checklist>
    deadline
   - April 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - April 15: Bolotin Awards <https://www.nfb.org/bolotin> nominations
   deadline
   - May 2: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - June 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - July 6-11: NFB National Convention, New Orleans, Louisiana

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

dgriffin at nfbga.org