[NFB_of_Georgia] ] Access Technology Affordability Act :(ATAA) (H.R. 431

beverly hunt5052 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 13:41:39 UTC 2021

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

National Federation of the Blind Applauds the Introduction of the Access
Technology Affordability Act in the House

Baltimore, Maryland (January 22, 2021): The National Federation of the
Blind, the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind Americans,
applauds the introduction of the Access Technology Affordability Act (ATAA)
(H.R. 431) in the United States House of Representatives by Select Revenue
Measures Subcommittee Chairman Mike Thompson
<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nfb.or
g%2Flibraries%2Fcivicrm%2Fextern%2Furl.php%3Fu%3D19756%26qid%3D4807302&data=
04%7C01%7C%7C49c692ef2f734a97799608d8bf319de0%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaa
aaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637469567104892698%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMD
AiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=mWDOgRTTUlQw7O
H6ROVyDZHKIfD362iw3sJAHhLoX8I%3D&reserved=0>  (D-CA-5) and Representative
Mike Kelly (R-PA-16). This legislation removes an employment barrier
commonly experienced by blind Americans who cannot afford the high cost of
access technology by creating a refundable tax credit in the amount of
$2,000 to be used over a three-year period to offset the cost of these
technologies.

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
"My wife, my two daughters, and I are all blind, and the children's
technology needs will increase as they complete their education and start
their careers. My family is not unique; blind people across the nation face
this challenge, and this legislation will provide critical assistance. We
thank and commend Chairman Thompson and Representative Kelly for continuing
to be champions for this act, which will help give blind people the
technology they need to live the lives they want."

_._,_._,_