[NFB_of_Georgia] President's Notebook Week of June 07, 2021

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Mon Jun 7 22:46:08 UTC 2021

Dear Federation Family Members,

This is it, the final month leading to the 2021 National Convention and, I
am going to boldly predict, our last fully virtual convention for many
decades to come. For now, we have a lot of work to do to execute a great
convention, and you are critical to making it so.

Celebrating Pride Month and the intersection with the blind—it was great to
feature our NFB LGBTQIA+ group during the June Presidential Release. This
might have been the first time for many of you to get to know Sanho
Steele-Louchart. I remind you of his article “NFB Philosophy: What I Wish
I'd Known
<https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/braille_monitor/2021/february/04_nfb_philosophy_what_i_wish_id_known.mp3>”
from the February issue of the *Braille Monitor*. Also, among other great
articles in this month’s issue of the *Monitor*, you might want to
share “Fateful
Intersectionality
<https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/braille_monitor/2021/june/18_fateful_intersectionality.mp3>”
as part of our local efforts to demonstrate the Federation’s intersections
with Pride Month.

*News:*

*June Presidential Release:*

The audio and streaming versions of the June Presidential Release are
available now at
nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases. The English
and Spanish transcripts will be posted at the same link as soon as they are
ready.

*The June Braille Monitor Is Available:*

The latest issue of the National Federation of the Blind flagship
publication is now available. Read about national convention, stories from
members, raising expectations, and more. Access the *Braille Monitor* now
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm21/bm2106/bm2106tc.htm>.

*National Convention Registration Still Available:*

The 2021 National Federation of the Blind National Convention registration
is still open. Early registration prior to May 31 was required for member
voting access and door prizes. Register to get access to convention
information as it becomes available at nfb.org/registration
<https://www.nfb.org/registration>.

Also check nfb.org/convention <https://www.nfb.org/convention> for fun
information from our affiliate host, first time convention concierge to
share, and more!

*Host a Banquet Party #NFB21:*

The National Federation of the Blind National Convention banquet is a
highlight of coming together. Following local guidance, host a banquet
party on Saturday, July 10. Fancy clothes and gourmet food are optional.
During the event, we will drop into banquet parties across the country for
a chance to say hello to the whole convention. Complete the Banquet Party
Form <https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention/banquet-party-form> by
June 30.

*Pre-Convention Activity: Zoom Training on June 13:*

Attend a Zoom training on Sunday, June 13, at 6:00 p.m. eastern with
drop-in hours for anyone interested in learning about Zoom and how to
interact with it. Hosted by the NFB Muslims group, the training will be
geared toward preparing participants for the national convention. Everyone
is welcome—all ages and from any state and division. Please send questions
to our group at nfb-m at nfbnet.org or email the chair, Tasnim Alshuli, at
tasnim.shuli at gmail.com. Zoom details: https://arizona.zoom.us/j/84819687811;
Zoom Meeting ID: 848 1968 7811; one tap mobile: +16027530140,,84819687811#

*Access Technology Affordability Act:*

Last week we issued a legislative alert for the Access Technology
Affordability Act (H.R. 431 and S. 212). If your representative or senators
have not yet cosponsored this legislation, please urge them to do so. We
are working to increase the number of House cosponsors from 86 to 109 and
the number of Senate cosponsors from 20 to 25 within the next two weeks.
This would represent 25 percent of the membership of both the House and the
Senate.

*Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act
Fulfillment Comments:*

Last Thursday, we submitted comments to the Federal Communications
Commission
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/nfb-comments-fcc-fulfillment-twenty-first-century>
(FCC)
regarding their fulfillment of the Twenty-First Century Communications and
Video Accessibility Act (CVAA). These comments were regarding the rules
established by the FCC after the passage of the CVAA in 2010 and what
specific updates needed to be made to those rules. I encourage you to read
our comments, as well as the other content on the Policy Statements
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements> section of
our website.

*A Blind Parent’s Essential Guide to Effective Communication from Public
and Private Schools:*

The National Federation of the Blind’s resource, *A Blind Parent’s
Essential Guide to Effective Communication from Public and Private Schools*,
is now available in English
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/advocacy-resources/blind-parents-essential-guide-effective-communication>
 and Spanish
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/advocacy-resources/blind-parents-essential-guide-effective-0>
.

*June Open House Gathering Call for Non-Members*

The National Federation of the Blind invites blind people to learn more
about being a member and the benefits on June 30, 2021, at 8:00 p.m.
eastern via Zoom. Take advantage of this opportunity to hear from active
members and leaders on the myths and uncertainties of the Federation.
Register for the June Open House Gathering Call.
<https://nfb.org/form/open-house-gathering-call-regist>

*Recent Blog: “Light in Darkness: My Journey through Depression”:*

If you are dealing with mental illness, whether it be circumstantial or
biological, you are not alone. Read Rachel Grider’s story in our recent *Voice
of the Nation’s Blind Blog*
<https://nfb.org/blog/light-darkness-my-journey-through-depression>.

*New NFB-NEWSLINE® Magazines:*

Six new magazines added to NFB-NEWSLINE:

   - *Ability Magazine*, launched as the first newsstand magazine focused
   on issues of health and disability.
   - *Animal Tales* is a children's magazine of its kind to focus entirely
   on animals, engages young readers with heartwarming, educational animal.
   - *Fast Company* is the world's leading progressive business media
   brand, with a unique editorial focus on innovation in technology,
   leadership, and design.
   - *Forbes* is an American business magazine.
   - *J-14*, abbreviated from the original title "just for teens,” the
   number one teen celebrity magazine.
   - *Toastmasters* is dedicated to helping people from diverse backgrounds
   become more confident speakers, communicators, and leaders.

*Independence Market Product of the Month—**Athletic Balls with Bells:*

These standard-sized rubber balls have bells inside that jingle when the
ball is in motion.

Basketball (orange) - AIG08B - $15.00

Football (brown) - AIG09B - $15.00

Soccer ball - AIG79B - $23.00

*Upcoming Event—Android Application Development Seminar:  *

On Wednesday, June 9, from 12:00 to 5:00 p.m. eastern, the National
Federation of the Blind, in collaboration with Google, is hosting an app
development seminar focused on accessibility. Anyone who develops or is
considering developing apps is encouraged to register for this Zoom event.
There are also limited opportunities to meet directly with Google engineers
to discuss your app and have your accessibility questions answered. Take
advantage of this free opportunity. Register at:
https://nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/android-app-dev-seminar-reg

*Upcoming Event—Getting the Most Out of Microsoft Office with a Screen
Reader Accessibility Seminar:*

On Wednesday, June 16, from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. eastern, the National
Federation of the Blind’s CENA team is hosting an accessibility seminar
based on using Microsoft Office products with a screen reader. Anyone who
wants to learn how to use Office products more efficiently is encouraged to
attend. Take advantage of this free opportunity. Register at:
https://nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques/accessibility-boutique-registration
.

*Upcoming Event—Gaming for Everyone:*

On Tuesday, June 29, from 2:00 to 3:30 p.m. eastern, the National
Federation of the Blind, in collaboration with the Maryland Department of
Disabilities, is hosting a boutique discussing the many games accessible to
the Blind. Whether for PC, mobile phones, or gaming consoles, there are
many games that the blind can play. Register today at
https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques/accessibility-boutique-registration

*Thanks to NFB of New Jersey and NFB of Mississippi*

Thanks for recent contributions go to the NFB of New Jersey and the NFB of
Mississippi. Support from our affiliates and chapters is essential for our
continued building of the National Federation of the Blind.

*Reminders*

*Door Prizes:*

We are continuing the long-standing fun tradition of door prizes at the
2021 NFB National Convention. Please help us share the excitement of
winners’ names being announced and attendees anticipating their coveted
prize.

We request cash donations so that we can distribute gift cards and gift
certificates as prizes. Please make your checks payable to National
Federation of the Blind and write Door Prizes in the memo. Mail the check
to National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD
21230, Attention: Fiscal Services - DP. By addressing the check this way,
we will easily identify it as a door prize and process it accordingly. You
should also send an email to prize at nfb.org to let us know you are sending a
contribution for the door prizes and the full name of the organization that
the contribution is from. We want to make sure we recognize your
organization in our thank-you list. You can contact Bridgid Burke (
bburke at nfb.org or extension 2271) or Belinda Hooks (bhooks at nfb.org or
extension 2508) with any questions. We discourage everyone from making door
prize donations through the nfb.org/donate page; however, if a door prize
donation is received through this page, we will reduce the donation by 3
percent to help us offset the credit card transaction fees. We are looking
forward to another informative, fun, and prize-filled convention.

*PAC Prizes:*

Every year the Pre-Authorized Contribution program holds various contests
during the national convention for which NFB affiliates and individual
members contribute prizes. We are again asking NFB affiliates and national
divisions to support our fun PAC contests by contributing cash donations to
the contest prizes. Please make checks payable to National Federation of
the Blind, 200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230, Attention: Fiscal
Services - PAC. You should also send an email to PAC at nfb.org to let us know
you are sending a contribution for the contest prizes and the full name of
the organization that the contribution is from. We want to make sure we
recognize your organization in our thank-you list. You can contact Scott
LaBarre (slabarre at nfb.org) or Bridgid Burke (bburke at nfb.org or extension
2271) if you have any questions. We are looking forward to another
fun-PACked convention!

*Dates to Keep in Mind*

(all times eastern)

   - June 9: App Development Seminar, www.nfb.org/cena
   - June 16: Screen Reader Accessibility Seminar
   - June 29: Gaming Seminar
   - June 29: Rookie Roundup, 8:30 p.m.
   - July 6-10: NFB National Convention, anywhere and everywhere

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>

                         [image: Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>    [image: Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>    [image: Youtube]
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we
work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

dgriffin at nfbga.org