[NFB_of_Georgia] President's Notebook Week of 3/8/2021

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Wed Mar 10 03:54:36 UTC 2021

Dear Fellow Federationists,

Happy International Women’s Day. Like so many other movements, women are
the foundation of our organization and provide leadership in more areas
than I have time to reflect here. Three years ago I made this the focus of
my banquet speech and someday, if I get free time, I would love to spin
that into a full book—there are so many powerful and untold stories
throughout our movement. I want to help elevate these stories because I
think they are such a powerful teaching tool about leadership and the
strength of our movement. Yet even in 2021 we recognize we need to do more
to break down the gender barriers and find opportunities to build
leadership among the emerging generation of women in our movement.

So today I would like to offer you two diverse pieces from the emerging
generation of leaders in the Federation. Check out Kenia Flores in her TED
talk, “Rising Above Low Expectations with A Disability
<https://youtu.be/RNmIRFFKRp4>*,”* and from the *Braille Monitor*, “We are
Women and Sisters Forever
<https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm21/bm2103/bm210309.htm>
*,”* by Danielle McCann.

I could not let today get away without giving a huge thank you to all of
our national board members who are women—they represent a majority of the
board—and especially our first vice president, Pam Allen, whose grace,
determination, insights, and innovations move us forward every day. I work
closely with Pam on everything we do, and I could not imagine what our
movement would be without her in it. I raise that up because she is one of
the many leaders who keep me grounded and contribute to my understanding on
a daily basis. I appreciate that Pam and our other board members continue
to be a driving force in ensuring that our organization roots out and
eliminates bias that may be hidden in our practices and policies.

*Critical Actions:*

*Last Chance to Register for the Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium:*

Registration for the 2021 Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium will
close at 11:59 p.m. eastern on March 10. Don’t miss this opportunity to j
oin internationally recognized disability rights advocate Kathy Martinez,
and nationally renowned disability rights advocates at the United States’
leading disability law symposium—held virtually this year on March 24–26—as
we examine issues relating to race, diversity, inclusion, and the right to
live in the world. Registration is $100, and student registration is free.
Visit the law symposium webpage
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/jacobus-tenbroek-disability-law-symposium>
register and view the agenda and speaker bios.

*News:*

 *Share Your Experience Accessing COVID-19 Vaccines and Testing:*

The National Federation of the Blind is gathering data to monitor and
challenge access barriers for blind people to COVID-19 vaccines and tests.
It is vital that blind and low-vision Americans receive the same
opportunities and tools to participate in ending this public health threat
as others do. Please complete a five- to fifteen-minute survey regarding
your experience with COVID-19 vaccines and testing.

Take the survey on accessing COVID-19 vaccines and testing
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/access-covid-19-vaccine-and-testing-survey>
.

*Door Prizes:*

We are accepting door prizes for the 2021 national convention. We learned a
lot about virtual door prizes at last year’s convention and recommend
sending cash donations to make it easier to create groups of prizes that
can be distributed from one location. Please make your checks payable to
National Federation of the Blind and write “Door Prizes” in the memo. You
should mail the check to National Federation of the Blind; 200 East Wells
Street; Baltimore, MD 21230; Attention: Fiscal Services - DP. By addressing
the check this way, we will easily identify it as a door prize and process
it accordingly. You can also send an email to prize at nfb.org to let us know
you are sending a contribution for the door prizes and the full name of the
organization that the contribution is from. We want to make sure we
recognize you on our thank-you list. You can contact Bridgid Burke (
bburke at nfb.org or extension 2271) or Belinda Hooks (bhooks at nfb.org or
extension 2508) with any questions. We are looking forward to another
informative, fun, and prize-filled convention.

 *Journal of Blindness Innovation and Research** Highlight: *

*The Journal of Blindness Innovation and Research* is the first scholarly
journal created by blind people designed to address the real problems of
blindness. This month we are highlighting the article, “Client-Centered
Therapy versus Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy: Applications in
Adjustment-to-Blindness Training" by Justin M. H. Salisbury, MA, NOMC,
NCRTB, NCUEB
<https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/jbir/jbir21/jbir110108abs.html>
*,* which discusses two types of therapy and how they may apply to
adjusting to blindness.

*App Development Seminar:*

On Monday, March 15, from 12:00 to 6:00 p.m. eastern, the National
Federation of the Blind, in collaboration with Google, is hosting an app
development seminar focused on accessibility. Anyone who develops or is
considering developing apps is encouraged to register for this Zoom event.
There are also limited opportunities to meet directly with Google engineers
to discuss your app and have your accessibility questions answered. The
registration page will be live shortly, check www.nfb.org/cena for updates.

 *Accessibility Boutique—Utilizing Smartphone Accessibility Features:*

On Tuesday, March 30, from 2:00 to 3:30 p.m. eastern, the National
Federation of the Blind is hosting an accessibility boutique that will be
based on utilizing smartphone accessibility features. We will cover iOS
accessibility features, Android accessibility features, and accessibility
applications on both systems. Take advantage of this free opportunity on
Zoom to learn the latest in smartphone accessibility. Register for the
accessibility
boutique
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques/accessibility-boutique-registration>
 today!

 *Latest Blog Post— “So Much More than the Money: A Scholarship Story”:*

The *Voice of the Nation's Blind Blog* highlights personal experiences and
stories of blind people. In the recent article, Cayte Mendez shares her
scholarship story. Read the blog,"So Much More than the Money: A
Scholarship Story.
<https://www.nfb.org/blog/so-much-more-money-scholarship-story>*”*

 *Reminders:*

*Complete the Diversity and Inclusion Survey by March 15:*

The National Federation of the Blind is gathering information on diversity
and inclusion from members and leaders in the organization. Please take
approximately fifteen minutes to complete this important survey by March
15. The survey includes a short, optional, confidential questionnaire about
you. Your perspective and experiences are needed to develop diversity and
inclusion initiatives for our movement.

2021 Diversity and Inclusion Survey (English)
<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NFB-Diversity-Inclusion>

En Español: 2021 Encuesta sobre Diversidad e Inclusión
<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NFB-Diversidad-Inclusion>

*Dates to Keep in Mind:*

(all times eastern)

   - March 15: Scholarship Letters Training, 8:00 p.m.
   - March 24-26: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium
   - March 31: Scholarship application
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program/scholarship-program-application-checklist>
    deadline
   - April 5: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - April 15: Bolotin Awards <https://www.nfb.org/bolotin> nominations
   deadline
   - May 3: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - June 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - July 6-10: NFB National Convention, anywhere and everywhere

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

dgriffin at nfbga.org