[NFB_of_Georgia] President's Notebook Week of March 15, 2021

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Wed Mar 17 16:50:28 UTC 2021

Dear Fellow Federationists,

Is it winter or is it spring? I think it is mostly busy around the National
Federation of the Blind. Yet, it is very different than it was one year ago
when we were struggling to make all sorts of alternate plans. As we start
to find a pathway out of the pandemic and the current isolation, it is
great to have the innovative spirit of the Federation family to continue
driving us forward.

*News:*

*Mark Your Calendar for the Presidential Release on April 5—Captioning and
Spanish Available:*

The April Presidential Release of the National Federation of the Blind will
be delivered on Monday, April 5, at 8:00 p.m. eastern. After the remarks
there is an opportunity for questions. Submit questions in advance to
cdanielsen at nfb.org and put PR504 in the subject line, or call 410-659-9314,
extension 2473. Closed captions and Spanish interpretation will be
available. Mark your calendars. Zoom details will be available soon. Learn
about the many ways to participate
<https://www.nfb.org/index.php/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases>
.

 *Code of Conduct: Frequently Asked Questions Now Available:*

The NFB Code of Conduct Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) are now available
at nfb.org/codeofconduct
<https://www.nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/code-conduct/code-conduct-frequently-asked-questions>,
and they address the process that is in place as of March 2021. As the code
of conduct and complaint process are reviewed and changed, these questions
and answers will be updated as quickly as possible to reflect any revisions
that are made. Access the frequently asked questions now.
<https://www.nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/code-conduct/code-conduct-frequently-asked-questions>
Thank
you for your commitment to ensuring a safe, healthy, and welcoming
environment.

*Survivor Taskforce Open Calls:*

The survivor-led taskforce invites Federationists and members of the blind
community to attend one of two planned open calls related to the Code of
Conduct. Calls are scheduled on Thursday, April 15, and Sunday, April 18,
from 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. eastern. We will review the Code of Conduct
FAQs during the first hour. Attendees may provide feedback on the present
Code of Conduct during the second hour. These comments will assist with the
current code review. Zoom details are forthcoming.

*Final Day to Complete and Share the Diversity and Inclusion Survey:*

The National Federation of the Blind is gathering information on diversity
and inclusion from members and leaders in the organization. Please take
approximately fifteen minutes to complete this important survey. The survey
includes a short optional and confidential questionnaire about you. Your
perspective and experiences are needed to develop diversity and inclusion
initiatives for our movement.

·      2021 Diversity and Inclusion Survey (English)
<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NFB-Diversity-Inclusion>

·      En Español: 2021 Encuesta sobre Diversidad e Inclusión
<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NFB-Diversidad-Inclusion>

*Access Technology Affordability Act:*

We are doing a great job building cosponsor support for the Access
Technology Affordability Act in both the House and the Senate. The bill
gained fourteen new cosponsors in the House and one in the Senate. That
means the House bill is up to sixty-two cosponsors and the Senate bill is
up to twelve! Special thanks to Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida,
Illinois, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Pennsylvania,
and Washington for getting members of Congress from your state to cosponsor
the bill. Please continue to contact your House and Senate members who are
not yet on the bill and urge them to cosponsor.

*Latest Blog Post: “Inclusion in the Theater: Embracing Your Passion for
Performance”:*

The *Voice of the Nation's Blind Blog* highlights personal experiences and
stories of blind people. In the recent article, Elizabeth Rouse shares her
experience getting on stage. Read the blog, "Inclusion in the Theater:
Embracing Your Passion for Performance
<https://www.nfb.org/index.php/blog/inclusion-theater-embracing-your-passion-performance>
*.”*

*Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award *

Nominations are open through May 1, 2021. More information about the award
can be found on the Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award webpage
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/distinguished-educator-blind-students-award>

*Reminders:*

*Share Your Experience Accessing COVID-19 Vaccines and Testing:*

The National Federation of the Blind is gathering data to monitor and
challenge access barriers for blind people to COVID-19 vaccines and tests.
It is vital that blind and low-vision Americans receive the same
opportunities and tools to participate in ending this public health threat
as others do. Please complete a five- to fifteen-minute survey regarding
your experience with COVID-19 vaccines and testing.

Take the survey on accessing COVID-19 vaccines and testing
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/access-covid-19-vaccine-and-testing-survey>
.

*Dates to Keep in Mind:*

(all times eastern)

   - March 15: Scholarship Meeting, 8:00 p.m.
   - March 24-26: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium
   - March 31: Scholarship application
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/scholarship-program/scholarship-program-application-checklist>
    deadline
   - April 5: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - April 15: Bolotin Awards <https://www.nfb.org/bolotin> nominations
   deadline
   - May 1: Distinguished Educator of Blind Children Award
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/distinguished-educator-blind-students-award>
   nominations deadline
   - May 3: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - June 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
   - July 6-10: NFB National Convention, anywhere and everywhere

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>

                         [image: Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>    [image: Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>    [image: Youtube]
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we
work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

dgriffin at nfbga.org