[NFB_of_Georgia] President’s Notebook Week of 05/04/2022

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Wed Apr 6 20:31:21 UTC 2022

Dear Federation Family,

It was great to be together with so many of you Monday night on the
Presidential Release Live. It is always fun to produce these live
gatherings of Federation members. ent.

I want to acknowledge that we have had a number of changes in affiliate
leaders during the past month. Congratulations to our new presidents in
Mississippi, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. Thanks so much to our past presidents
Patrina Pendarvis, Amy Buresh, and John Fritz.

Among all the work of the movement, we need to have fun. I am looking
forward to the start of baseball season to accompany the warmer weather.
Remember a homerun and a sacrifice fly can make the same difference for the
home team. Whatever you do this week for the team, know that the most
important thing is that you choose not to simply sit on the bench.

News:*“We’re With U! A Benefit Concert to Help Blind Ukrainian Refugees”:*

Many in the Federation family have been asking if there is something we can
specifically do to help blind people affected by the horrific invasion
happening in Ukraine. In collaboration with the World Blind Union, we are
joining the global online blind community for a benefit concert to help
blind Ukrainian refugees on Saturday, April 16, at 2:00 p.m., eastern.
#BlindWithU Learn more about “We're With U!
<https://nfb.org/get-involved/we-are-with-u-benefit-concert>”

*Deadline Approaching for 2022 Bolotin Awards:*

The National Federation of the Blind is accepting nominations of
individuals or organizations who are a positive force in the lives of blind
people and help us transform dreams into reality. Each application must
include a letter of recommendation. Learn more and submit a nomination for
the 2022 Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/dr-jacob-bolotin-awards/application-information>
.

*Upcoming Event with a Panel of Successfully Employed Blind Educators:*

Join the National Federation of the Blind on Wednesday, April 27, at 8
p.m., eastern, to celebrate the work and accomplishments of blind educators
with a Where the Blind Work panel discussion. Learn from several educators
about their typical day, their overall education and work experiences, and
the alternative techniques and strategies used to do these jobs. This is a
great opportunity for aspiring blind and low-vision educators as well as
anyone interested in learning about the work of blind professionals. Register
now for the April Where the Blind Work webinar
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/employment/where-the-blind-work-webinars-registration>
.

*April Braille Monitor Available:*

The latest issue of the National Federation of the Blind flagship
publication is now available. Read about the 2022 Washington Seminar, what
it means to be part of a civil rights organization, awards and deadlines, a
call for discussion on humor, and stories from members. Access the *Braille
Monitor* now
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm22/bm2204/bm2204tc.htm>.

*Career Opportunities:*

The National Federation of the Blind is seeking talented individuals to
join our staff team. We have several openings in various areas of interest
including Braille production, digital communications, fiscal services, and
membership. We encourage candidates seeking to join our movement to submit
a general-interest cover letter and résumé to us expressing the types of
positions being sought. Learn more and share the opportunities:
https://nfb.org/about-us/career-opportunities
 *Upcoming Event: Comparison of Collaboration Tools:*

Join the National Federation of the Blind Center of Excellence in Nonvisual
Access on Wednesday, April 6, 2022, from 1:00-5:00 p.m., eastern, via Zoom
for a comparison and overview of the accessibility of several of the top
collaboration and communication services. Learn about the initial setup,
creating projects, chatting among team members, and sharing files. The use
of these skyrocketed during the COVID pandemic. Take advantage of this free
opportunity. Register today!
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques/accessibility-boutique-registration>

*Nominations Open for Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award:*

The education of blind children is one of the National Federation of the
Blind's highest priorities. We are committed to offering and supporting
programs that enhance educational opportunities for this group. Please help
us recognize dedicated and innovative teachers who provide quality
education and meaningful experiences and opportunities for their blind
students. Nominate a teacher, counselor, or administrator of program for
blind students. The deadline is May 1. Learn more about the Distinguished
Educator of Blind Students Award
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/distinguished-educator-blind-students-award>
.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

   - April 6: Comparison of Collaboration Tools accessibility boutique
   <https://nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/trainings/accessibility-boutiques/accessibility-boutique-registration>
   - April 15: Deadline for Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship
   <https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention/kenneth-jernigan-convention-scholarship>
    application
   - April 15: Deadline for Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award nominations
   <https://nfb.org/bolotin>
   - April 16: “We’re With U! A Benefit Concert to Help Blind Ukrainian
   Refugees <https://nfb.org/get-involved/we-are-with-u-benefit-concert>”
   - May 1: Deadline for Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award
   <https://nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/distinguished-educator-blind-students-award>
   - July 5-10: National Convention
   <https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention>, New Orleans

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>