[NFB_of_Georgia] NFB President’s Notebook - Week of 02/03/2022

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Thu Feb 3 17:48:18 UTC 2022

Dear Federation Family,

Although February 2022 still has us mostly physically distanced from each
other, I am really excited about the level of activity and advocacy
happening throughout the movement. I am also increasingly excited about our
first in-person convention since 2019. However, we have a long way to go
before we get there.

While we are all pointed towards our legislative agenda and the work of our
Washington Seminar in the next week, please note a number of other
important notes below. Also, six more weeks of winter, so might as well
buckle down on Federation advocacy as spring is not quite here. Forward to
Capitol Hill!

*Critical Actions:*

*2022 Washington Seminar:*

With the start of the 2022 Washington Seminar just a few days away, we are
putting the final touches on all of our preparations. Even though this
year’s event will be virtual, we still want to make sure you have the best
tools available when you meet with your member of Congress. This is why we
plan to post an audio-recorded, issues-training session and mock meeting on
the Washington Seminar Page
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar>, which is
where you can find plenty of other helpful information regarding the 2022
Washington Seminar.

*Take Your At-Home COVID-19 Test with Aira, Sponsored by the National
Federation of the Blind:*

The National Federation of the Blind is committed to providing at-home
COVID testing solutions and holding the government accountable for making
these tests accessible. As part of that commitment, we are sponsoring the
use of Aira for any blind person in the United States taking an at-home
COVID-19 test. If you are not already an Aira Explorer, you can set up a
free account and then use the visual interpreter service to complete
COVID-19 at-home tests. As part of the promotion, you’ll be asked a few
questions that will help provide important data for our at-home test
accessibility efforts. For more information on this promotion and our
overall at-home testing efforts, visit http://nfb.org/covidtests. We will
continue to update this page so check back often.

*News:*

 *Civil Rights Museum Planning:*

The National Federation of the Blind has begun the initial planning of a
state-of-the-art museum dedicated to the civil rights struggle of blind
Americans, including the history of our organization as the leader in the
blind civil rights movement. Our museum will highlight the struggles,
triumphs, and challenges blind people have experienced and the
contributions we have made as we continue to secure our place in the world
as fully participating citizens.

You can help with the planning of our museum by completing our online or
telephone survey. The online survey can be accessed by from our website
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1byRFNrP1741YzcukC0pcG3s4_1ufxpRuPTGXAM_q-JE/viewform?edit_requested=true>,
or by calling 229-632-7878 or toll-free 833-632-7878. The survey closes on
February 11, so please provide us your thoughts and suggestions as soon as
possible.

*Is Your State Financial Information Submitted?*

Thank you to the following affiliates that have provided our fiscal
services team with all of their 2021 financial information: NFB of Alabama,
NFB of Connecticut, NFB of Delaware, NFB of Florida, NFB of Georgia, NFB of
Idaho, NFB of Indiana, NFB of Iowa, NFB of Kentucky, NFB of Maine, NFB of
Minnesota, NFB of Missouri, NFB of Montana, NFB of Nebraska, NFB of Nevada,
NFB of New Mexico, NFB of North Carolina, NFB of Oregon, NFB of
Pennsylvania, NFB of Puerto Rico, NFB of Rhode Island, NFB of South Dakota,
NFB of Virginia, NFB of Washington, NFB of Wisconsin.

*Apply for 2022 Bolotin Awards:*

The National Federation of the Blind is accepting nominations of
individuals or organizations who are a positive force in the lives of blind
people and help us transform dreams into reality. Each application must
include a letter of recommendation. Learn more and submit a nomination for
the 2022 Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/dr-jacob-bolotin-awards/application-information>
.

*February Braille Monitor Available:*

The latest issue of the National Federation of the Blind flagship
publication is now available. Read about raising expectations every day,
our Code of Conduct, determination to achieve excellence, history of the
KNFB Reader, a call for change, and many stories from members. Access
the *Braille
Monitor* now.
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm22/bm2202/bm2202tc.htm>

*February Presidential Release Available:*

The February Presidential Release is available
<https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases> and
additional formats will be added by Friday, February 4, to be used at
chapter meetings.

*Lyft Denials Due to Service Animals:*

The NFB and NAGDU continue to gather stories in video format from
individuals who were denied rides because of their service animals by Lyft
drivers between January 24-30. If you travel with a service animal and were
denied a ride by Lyft during those dates, please visit NAGDU’s webform
<https://forms.gle/jLY8NiL7G6GgbrHS6>. If you have experienced
discrimination by Lyft drivers anytime other than last week, or for any
reason other than traveling with a service animal, or if you have
experienced discrimination by Uber drivers, please take a moment to complete
 NFB’s rideshare discrimination survey
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/rideshare-discrimination-survey>
.

*Dates to Keep in Mind:*

(all times eastern)

   - February 6: Affiliate and Division Presidents Meeting, 1:00 p.m.
   - February 7: Great Gathering-In, 5:00 p.m.
   - February 7-10: Washington Seminar
   <https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar/>
   - March 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
   - March 31: Deadline to submit scholarship application
   <https://nfb.org/scholarships>
   - April 15: Deadline for the Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award nominations
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/dr-jacob-bolotin-awards/application-information>
   - July 5-10: National Convention, New Orleans

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>

                         [image: Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>    [image: Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>    [image: Youtube]
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we
work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

dgriffin at nfbga.org