[NFB_of_Georgia] Georgia Braille Literacy:

charleseblack126 at gmail.com charleseblack126 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 19:53:49 UTC 2022

I believe that all Visually impaired individuals with vision, those who are
blind and those with potential of sight loss, should be taught Braille. My
reasoning is that events later in life or the decline of their vision will
cause perspective persons to need Braille to perform daily tasks without
aid. If some have the rights to read, why should all not have that same
freedom. Along that same vain, everyone should have the right to obtain the
same levels of education as everyone else. This education is more than just
book learning. My thought processes follow.

As we all know, making a life-change becomes more difficult as life
progresses. Take for example, reading. It can take up to a couple of years
for an adult to learn to read fluently
(https://www.quora.com/How-long-does-it-take-a-typical-illiterate-adult-to-l
earn-to-read). It takes about 5 months for a child. Part of the reason for
this is that adults have more to think about than just focusing on learning.
The adult has to live, provide for self and/or family , and may even have to
pay taxes. Total mental energy cannot be focused on education like it can
when you are a child when all you need worry about is school.

Secondly, if vision loss occurs during the education cycle, it will cost
more to educate the child to use Braille so they can continue their
learning. Sure, they could use computers and other recording devices to gain
book knowledge. But, can a book being played in your ear give you the
ability to spell? Can a book being read in your ear teach you what is needed
to achieve acceptable formatting? Both of these skills are expected to be
taught and Braille education is the best way to easily assure that they
have.

I do not think a child should be required to attend an institution to learn
Braille where socialization with peers and exposure to what life is will not
occur. I was brought up in such a way. Once I left the protective walls of
my institution, The Governor Morehead School in Raleigh NC, the experience
of life was too much. In college, freedom was thrust on me without knowing
the rules of the world. I was exposed to people that would take advantage of
you, would steal from you and that would break your heart. If I were allowed
to understand that those people who would do that were my neighbors, my
friends, and helpers, then I would not have been in a situation where
exposure to said events were life changing.

Exposure to opportunity should be tempered  with judgement. There are those
who have been brought up in a manner that this exposure would be
detrimental. There should be tests to determine suitability and these tests
should be administered annually. After some guidance, most children are
ready for experiences with the public which will help them throughout life.
This should not be based on physical but mental stability.

This is an argument for literacy, for normality, and for equality. All
should be taught to read without having that taken away from them. All
should be taught how the world is and not sheltered from negative aspects
that they can choose to take part in. The thing is, equality. I am no
different than you. But, I sometimes suffer thanks to my lack of exposure to
personality, reality, and  equality. Be the one; stand up  for equality. In
the words of Grace Hopper, Pioneering Computer Scientist:  "The most
damaging phrase in the language is it's always been done that way."

Black, Charles E. MS.

Charleseblack126 at gmail.com