[NFB_of_Georgia] NFB President’s Notebook - Week of 06/13/2022

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Tue Jun 14 15:55:18 UTC 2022

Please share with members that may not be on this listserv

Dear Federation Family,

Three weeks until July 4 and the day that many will be arriving in New
Orleans for our first in-person convention in three years. There are many
things to do before we get to our national convention, thus, this is a
short and mostly convention-focused notebook. Please note the pressing
convention-related items below, opportunities to engage members not
attending convention in our virtual convention experience activities, and
some final legislative updates so we can enter convention in a strong
position to move our agenda.

Thank you all for stepping up to help with elements of convention. A
reminder that Dan Burke would still love to hear from you about people to
help with our ambassador effort at convention. Dan can be reached at
burke.dall at gmail.com.

News:
*#NFB22 Virtual Experience Details & Banquet Party Form:*

The 2022 National Convention of the National Federation of the Blind is
almost here. Registration for the NFB22 virtual experience is still open
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=481>. We encourage you
to promote the virtual experience with chapter members who are not going to
New Orleans—it’s a great way to be connected to the organized blind
movement during the week of July 5 through July 10. There will be a virtual
experience component each day of the convention with exclusive activities,
including door prizes. For members who will be attending the virtual
experience and hosting a banquet party, we would love to know about your
party for the chance to say hello from convention. Complete the National
Convention Virtual Experience Banquet Party Form by June 30
<https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention/banquet-party-form>.

*Requesting Feedback on a Dynamic, Tactile Braille Display at Convention:*

Thanks to a revolution in cell technology, we are now close to realizing
the dream of multi-line, dynamic electronic Braille that can also
accurately display tactile graphics—what the field often refers to as the
“Holy Braille.” We are seeking members of NFB divisions who would like to
participate in a ninety-minute session to experience and give feedback on
this innovative technology. Please visit
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/5V5Q8NB and complete the form. We will
contact you, if you are chosen, to participate in one of our sessions. If
chosen, you must sign a nondisclosure agreement and acknowledge that the
session will be recorded (audio and video) in order to participate. Space
is limited, so please complete the form as soon as possible.

*Call for Door Prizes! (Note: Important Change to Submission Process):*

This is a request for door prizes for this year’s convention in New
Orleans. Each year the National Federation of the Blind is gifted various
prizes that are then awarded through a drawing to lucky convention
registrants. Please note the two submission processes:

·       All cash and gift-card prizes are to be taken to New Orleans and
given to Bennett Prows in person at the general session stage.

·       Products, baskets, or other items like Louisiana spices, should be
sent to Tammy Green at the NFB of Louisiana, 4401 Kennon Avenue, New
Orleans, LA 70122.

Contact Bennett Prows at prize at nfb.org with any questions. We appreciate
the generous door-prize support from NFB affiliates, divisions, chapters,
and all our members.

*Legislative Push Leading into Convention:*

We want to head into the 2022 National Convention with as much support for
our legislation as possible. The House and Senate are in session this week
and next. If your representative or senators have not already cosponsored
the following, please urge them to do so:

House

H.R. 431 – Access Technology Affordability Act

H.R. 2373 – Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act

H.R. 4853 – Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act

Senate

S. 212 – Access Technology Affordability Act

S. 3238 – Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act

Special thanks to Maryland and Minnesota for our two most recent cosponsors
on the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R. 4853), Dutch
Ruppersberger (MD-02) and Angie Craig (MN-02).

*Upcoming Event: Online Learning Services Seminar:*

Many services exist to help people learn new skills in a variety of areas.
However, the accessibility of both the user interface and course content
can vary widely. Come join the NFB CENA staff to learn about several
popular learning services on June 15 from 1:00-5:00 p.m. via Zoom. Register
at https://nfb.org/form/accessibility-boutique-reg
<https://nfb.org/form/accessibility-boutique-reg>.

*Social Security Administration Kiosks:*

The NFB continues to seek information about the accessibility of the Social
Security Administration’s current visitor-intake-processing methods. If you
have visited an SSA field office since their reopening in April 2022, or
plan to visit an office soon, please contact Valerie Yingling at
410-659-9314, extension 2440, or legal at nfb.org. We are specifically
gathering information on whether the field offices are using kiosk,
web-based, or human check-in processes, and whether these processes are
accessible to blind individuals.

*Youth STEM Programs:*

For more than fifteen years the National Federation of the Blind has been
committed to helping blind youth realize that they can succeed in STEM
(science, technology, engineering, and math) fields. We have held programs
that have allowed us to develop techniques for teaching STEM concepts that
make them accessible for everyone, and graduates of our programs are
working in a variety of STEM-related careers.

Now we want to bring our STEM programs to you! We are looking for
affiliates who are interested in hosting a STEM program for youth in the
fall of 2022 or spring 2023. Participating affiliates will be trained in a
variety of STEM lessons at a seminar in Baltimore. This training will
include how to set up materials, explain scientific concepts, and methods
of instruction. Participating affiliates will also receive materials,
accessible instructions, and financial support to put on a day-long STEM
workshop for youth in the fall or spring using a selection of these lessons.

If this is something you are interested in, please email Karen Anderson,
education programs coordinator, at kanderson at nfb.org, or call her at
410-659-9314, extension 2243. We are looking forward to bringing our STEM
programs to you!

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

   - June 21: Convention career fair registration closes
   - July 5-10: 2022 National Convention
   <https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention>, New Orleans

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>