[NFB_of_Georgia] NFB President’s Notebook - Week of 03/03/2022

Dorothy Griffin dgriffin at nfbga.org
Fri Mar 4 17:43:27 UTC 2022

This weeks notebook came out yesterday evening.

Dear Federation Family,

It feels so great to have our convention registration open for our
in-person national convention in New Orleans. We have been waiting for
this, and it is finally coming. Encourage participation in our first
in-person convention since 2019.

We have a busy four months leading up to our convention. As you will find
below, there is a lot to keep up on. The quickly changing trends with the
coronavirus—in the right direction—give great hope for more in-person
gatherings across the nation. Also, we are kicking off the spring
convention season this weekend with Alabama. So much great energy around
the Federation.

Keep up the great work on our legislative priorities. We have a good chance
of moving forward with these bills this year.

News:*2022 National Convention Registration Is Open:*

The 2022 National Federation of the Blind National Convention registration
is now open until May 31, 2022. Registration is $25 per person. Banquet
tickets for Sunday, July 10, are $70 per person. Please review our 2022
National Convention Safety Protocols
<https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention/2022-national-convention-safety-protocols>
 and the National Federation of the Blind Code of Conduct
<https://nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/code-conduct> prior to
registering. Register online now!
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=479> Details regarding
convention can be found at nfb.org/convention. Also, check out the
latest *Braille
Monitor* article, “New Orleans: Site of 2022 Convention” by John Berggren
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm22/bm2203/bm220301.htm>.
*Access Technology Affordability Act:*

Great news! Yesterday eight new cosponsors were added to the Access
Technology Affordability Act in the House and one in the Senate. We are now
up to 145 cosponsors on H.R. 431, and 36 cosponsors on S. 212. This is the
largest number of cosponsors we have ever had on the Access Technology
Affordability Act in both chambers of Congress. Let’s keep up the momentum!

*Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium:*

Registration is now open
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=476> for the 2022
Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium. Join nationally renowned
disability rights advocates at the United States’ leading disability law
symposium, held virtually this year March 24–March 25, 2022, as we examine
the right of people with disabilities to live in in a world of pandemics,
political polarization, and natural disasters. Registration is $100, and
student registration is $25. Visit the law symposium webpage
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/jacobus-tenbroek-disability-law-symposium>
 for additional information about the symposium.

*Scholarship Program Deadline Approaching in March:*

The National Federation of the Blind scholarship program helps blind
college students reach their educational and employment goals and so much
more. Building on its strong foundation, we are enhancing the awards
granted and making the experience even more inclusive, engaging, and
meaningful for the thirty finalists. Each scholarship winner will receive
$8,000. Encourage students to apply for the 2022 scholarship program
<https://nfb.org/about-us/press-room/national-federation-blind-enhances-largest-scholarship-program-blind-scholars>.
The deadline is March 31.
 *Apply for 2022 Bolotin Awards:*

The National Federation of the Blind is accepting nominations of
individuals or organizations who are a positive force in the lives of blind
people and help us transform dreams into reality. Each application must
include a letter of recommendation. Learn more and submit a nomination for
the 2022 Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/dr-jacob-bolotin-awards/application-information>
.
 *March Braille Monitor Available:*

The latest issue of the National Federation of the Blind flagship
publication is now available. Read about the site of the 2022 National
Convention, technology and ableism, immersion training, the purpose of
discussion in the publication, and many stories from members. Access
the *Braille
Monitor* now
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm22/bm2203/bm2203tc.htm>.
 *Career Opportunities:*

The National Federation of the Blind is seeking talented individuals to
join our staff team. We have several openings in various areas of interest
including Braille production; diversity, equity, and inclusion; digital
communications; fiscal services; and membership. We encourage candidates
seeking to join our movement to submit a general interest cover letter and
résumé to us expressing the types of positions being sought. Learn more and
share the opportunities: https://nfb.org/about-us/career-opportunities

*Attend 2022 NFB BELL® Academy: Applications Now Open!:*

We are offering in-person and in-home opportunities! Our in-person programs
across the nation and our NFB BELL Academy In-Home Edition will help
prepare blind and low-vision children to grow into confident and
independent blind people.

The current in-person program cities include Littleton, Colorado; Rathdrum,
Idaho; Chicago, Illinois; Springfield, Illinois; Ruston, Louisiana; St.
Louis, Missouri; Kansas City, Missouri; Perth Amboy, New Jersey; Phoenix,
Arizona; Tucson, Arizona; and Baltimore, Maryland. More in-person programs
coming soon!

The NFB BELL Academy In-Home Edition program will take place July 18-August
5, 2022. Students and families will receive Braille and other fun materials
for lessons, connect with experienced teachers, and build relationships
with other blind students and mentors. Please pass this link along to those
that would like to apply: https://nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy
.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

   - March 10: Deadline to register for the Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium
   <https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=476>
   - March 31: Deadline to submit scholarship application
   <https://nfb.org/scholarships>
   - April 15: Deadline for the Dr. Jacob Bolotin Award nominations
   <https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/dr-jacob-bolotin-awards/application-information>
   - July 5-10: National Convention, New Orleans

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

[image: National Federation of the Blind] <https://nfb.org/>

                         [image: Facebook]
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>    [image: Twitter]
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>    [image: Youtube]
<https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we
work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

dgriffin at nfbga.org