[NFBAZ-EastValleyChapter] East Valley Convention Assistance And Pool Party Information

Megan Homrighausen megan.homrighausen at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 04:31:23 UTC 2017

Dear East Valley,

For those of you who were not in attendance at the East Valley Chapter
meeting that took place this past Saturday, and even those who
attended, we conducted business and made some decisions that you
should all be aware of.

First, the chapter as a whole, passed a motion to assist East Valley
chapter members to go to the 2017 National Convention. The motion
states, "three people will receive up to $800 each to go to
convention. It is up to the presidents discretion who qualifies for
this assistance."

By the end of May, up to three individuals will be chosen from the East Valley to help with assistance in the costs of the convention, weather it be the cost of a flight,
hotel room, food, etc.

If you are needing assistance, and have not contacted me, please, call
or send me an email as soon as possible. The decision will be made by
the end of May.

When considering giving assistance, being that only three individuals
can be chosen from the East Valley, members' requesting will be asked
to be very specific as to what they need help with to assist them in
going to the convention. Members will also be asked about roommate
plans. If a member is asking for chapter assistance then that member must be willing to cut costs by securing roommates. Members will also be asked reason for attending
National Convention.

Please know that if you are chosen to receive assistance from the East
Valley, it is absolutely  expected for you to help at the convention.
As one of the four host states chosen this year to assist with various
activities of the convention, your volunteerism  is imperative,
whether it be at the registration table, independence market,
fundraising table, collecting tickets, etc., I need to remind you that
we will want, expect and need your help.

Other factors I will consider are who has been dedicated to our
chapter, your overall participation to the NFB and the East Valley
chapter.

If you have never gone to an NFB National Convention before and are
considering asking for assistance from the East Valley Chapter, please
take a look at the agenda for the 2016 NFB National Convention at:
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/2016-conv-agenda-final-web.pdf. The
agenda for the 2017 convention hasn't come out as of yet, but the
agenda from last year will give you a pretty good idea as of what to
expect. If nothing sounds interesting to you, then this may not be a
good opportunity to ask for assistance, as we expect our members to be
at the general sessions, various meetings and take part in the
convention in some way.

I would also like to remind members who do not get assistance from the
East Valley that you may also contact our NFBA state president, Donald
Porterfield to ask for assistance as well. His email address is:
donaldpfield at cox.net. Also, if you are a potential first-timer to a
National Convention, you may wish to take advantage of the Kennith
Jernigan fund, which is set up to help first-timers to National
Convention.
In other news, the East Valley Chapter has chosen to have our summer pool party at the home of Ruth Swenson and Jim Sohl on May, 20th 2017. We will send out more information as it becomes available.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.
Thank you and have a wonderful week. Sincerely,

Megan Homrighausen
East Valley Chapter President
National Federation Of The Blind Of Arizona
480-510-6196

National Federation Of The Blind Principles

1. Itis respectable to be blind. It’s okay to be blind. Being blind issomething that we need not feel troubled or embarrassed about, concerned aboutor emotionally exhausted over. It’s okay to be blind.
2. The real problem of blindness is not the absence of vision but isthe social misconceptions and stereotypes that exist about blindness. It is not the physical absence of eye sight but it is what society has come tobelieve about our blindness. We reject the misconceptions that society has andwe accept that the physical absence of our sight is not the big problem.
3. With proper training and opportunity the average blind person cando the average job in the average place of work.
4. Blindnessis simply one of many human characteristics, like being tall or being short,being big or small, being bright or average. Blindness is simply one of many
characteristics.
5. Blindnesscan be reduced to the level of an inconvenience or physical nuisance.
6. Webelieve in the effectiveness of alternative non visual techniques.
7. Ifwe want equal rights we need to accept equal responsibility.