[NFBAZ-EastValleyChapter] Important Dial A Ride Information

Megan Homrighausen megan.homrighausen at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 22:41:31 UTC 2017

Dear East Valley and whoever this may concern,
On June 18th 2017, I have asked Ron Brooks and possibly some people from his team to come to the East Valley Chapter meeting to discuss some of the issues that have been brought up regarding Transit and Dial A Ride.
I explained to Ron that members are feeling quite concerned about the changes that are going to be taking place. There is a lot of talk and rumors circulating among our members, as well as the total transit drivers which is causing quite a stir.

Ron and I had a very nice talk. Here is what you need to know. These are facts that you can take with you. I am hoping that this information will calm some of your fears, misconceptions, misunderstandings and or any false information and ideas that you may have been given.

1. We need to understand that as unfortunate or fortunate as this may sound, contracts do end. So, what is the quote, death and taxes are inevitable, well, add the fact that contracts ending is inevitable too.

2. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!! The only thing that will change with Dial A Ride is the service provider. That is it. The service hours, service windows, fees, and all services associated with Dial A Ride will remain the same. Valley Metro as well as TRANSDEV have openly stated directly to the public that they guarantee our services will remain as they always have, along with a really exciting promise that services will only get better. Yes, the vehicles will be different and yes, you may have to share rides from time to time. We have already been doing that.

Yellow cab has been hired as a sub contractor by TRANSDEV to help with a few calls. You will probably hardly see them.

Valley Metro has asked Total Transit to make sure that their drivers are not spreading false information. They are strongly advised not to discuss or say anything to us, as passengers about the new contracts. Ron has asked that if any drivers are giving you information about what is and will be happening with these contracts to report this to Valley Metro immediately at: 602-253-5000.

We need to remember to do likewise, if you are not sure about something, don't put it out there.

3. Ride Choice is getting even better and more affordable!! When Valley Metro visits us, they will explain the great new benefits and conveniences that they will be adding, so be looking forward to that as well.

I know that change is really hard. I really do. I understand that it is hard to fathom the unknown, or what may or may not happen. After all, this is our independence we are talking about right?

I hope that you all know and understand, that the NFBA is closely working with Ron Brooks and Valley Metro to provide the best and most affordable services possible in order for us to remain independent and equal in a sighted world.

Please don't forget about buses and light rails as well. They are always there. These are the facts and that is it. I am not leaving anything out.

Let's please stay positive as we look forward to our visit from Valley Metro in June.
We will send out more reminders as the meeting gets closer.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Megan Homrighausen
East Valley Chapter President
National Federation Of The Blind Of Arizona
480-510-6196

National Federation Of The Blind Principles

1. Itis respectable to be blind. It’s okay to be blind. Being blind issomething that we need not feel troubled or embarrassed about, concerned aboutor emotionally exhausted over. It’s okay to be blind.
2. The real problem of blindness is not the absence of vision but isthe social misconceptions and stereotypes that exist about blindness. It is not the physical absence of eye sight but it is what society has come tobelieve about our blindness. We reject the misconceptions that society has andwe accept that the physical absence of our sight is not the big problem.
3. With proper training and opportunity the average blind person cando the average job in the average place of work.
4. Blindnessis simply one of many human characteristics, like being tall or being short,being big or small, being bright or average. Blindness is simply one of many
characteristics.
5. Blindnesscan be reduced to the level of an inconvenience or physical nuisance.
6. Webelieve in the effectiveness of alternative non visual techniques.
7. Ifwe want equal rights we need to accept equal responsibility.