[NFBAZ-EastValleyChapter] NFBA East Valley Chapter Meeting August 19th 2017 Announcement

Megan Homrighausen megan.homrighausen at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 17 05:36:31 UTC 2017

Dear East Valley,
Our East Valley chapter meeting will be held this Saturday, August 19th from 12:30pm to 3pm. We will meet at the Pyle Adult Recreational Center located at 655 East Southern Avenue in Tempe Arizona 85282.

­­­­East Valley Meeting Agenda August 19th2017 12:30pm: Call to orderPresident: MeganHomrighausen 12:31: NFB Pledge 12:32pm One Minute Message The National Federation ofthe Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you oryour future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because lowexpectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can livethe life you want; blindness is not what holds you back. 12:33pm Attendance 12:37pm: East Valley TreasurerReportDebra Smith
12:42pm MinutesJenny Kasl 12:47pm Student DivisionReportGarret Mooney 12:52pm Transit ReportPresident: MeganHomrighausen and Connie Ryan 12:57pm State BoardMeeting ReportDebra Smith and Jenny Kasl 1:02pm: NFBA 2017Convention InformationSharonda White 1:07pm: Ask for volunteersfor 2017 convention/Discuss hosts of the 2017 state convention and what theywill be doing/door prizes ectDo we want a table? Auction Information Debra/Debi 1:15pm: Discuss ConventionAssistanceEast Valley Board/Chapter/Chapter Vote
 1:20pm: Discuss thoughtsfor door prize donation from the East ValleyEast Valley Board/Chapter/ Chapter Vote
 1:25pm: Start collectingdues for 2017/2018Debra Smith 1:30pm Cookie Jar AuctionJustin Hughes 1:40pm PresidentialRelease 2:00pm Special announcement :) 2:02pm: East Valley FundraiserDinnerDebra Smith/Chapter Vote 2:15pm: 2017 Meet theblind month Plan of ActionMark Feliz/Chapterdiscussion/ Chapter Vote
 2:30pm: Let's hear about National Convention!Darrell Hilliker and convention goers

2:45pm Announcements 3:00pmAdjourn As you can see, we have a lot to cover. We look forward to seeing you this Saturday.
Following our East Valley chapter meeting, we continue the tradition of gathering together after our meeting to eat and talk. This is a time to get to know our new members and or visitors to the East Valley. This is also a place for us to catch up with each other in a comfortable setting. We will have a reservation at Serano's Mexican Restaurant located at 6440 South Rural Road Tempe, Arizona 85283. We will get a count while we are taking attendance at our chapter meeting. Our members usually will make rides to leave Serrano's around 6pm.

I have attached a blank copy of the 2017 NFBA State Convention Pre Registration form. Please don't forget to register by August 24th to take advantage of the savings. Also, don't forget to book your hotel rooms.

Thank you! Sincerely,

Megan Homrighausen
East Valley Chapter President
National Federation Of The Blind Of Arizona
480-510-6196

National Federation Of The Blind Principles

1. Itis respectable to be blind. It’s okay to be blind. Being blind issomething that we need not feel troubled or embarrassed about, concerned aboutor emotionally exhausted over. It’s okay to be blind.
2. The real problem of blindness is not the absence of vision but isthe social misconceptions and stereotypes that exist about blindness. It is not the physical absence of eye sight but it is what society has come tobelieve about our blindness. We reject the misconceptions that society has andwe accept that the physical absence of our sight is not the big problem.
3. With proper training and opportunity the average blind person cando the average job in the average place of work.
4. Blindnessis simply one of many human characteristics, like being tall or being short,being big or small, being bright or average. Blindness is simply one of many
characteristics.
5. Blindnesscan be reduced to the level of an inconvenience or physical nuisance.
6. Webelieve in the effectiveness of alternative non visual techniques.
7. Ifwe want equal rights we need to accept equal responsibility.