[NFBAZ-EastValleyChapter] Washington Seminar

Tony Sohl tonysohl at samobile.net
Sat Feb 5 20:02:50 UTC 2022

Greetings Federation:
Next week is the Washington Seminar, which is being held virtually. We
have reached out to our  representatives and senators offices
requesting virtual meetings and have received confirmation  from
several, which are listed below. I anticipate that on Monday we will
receive several  additional confirmations. I will send out updates as
the confirmations come in
If you would like to participate in meetings with your individual
representative or the two  senators, please send an email to Joanne
Gabias at  jgabias at saavi.us . Please put “Washington Seminar
participation” in the subject line so it is easy to track. Please
include what city you live in so that we can provide it to the
Congressional offices.
The Great Gathering In is Monday, February 7 at 3:00 p.m.
(Arizona)/5:00 p.m. (E.T.). Great  Gathering-In Zoom Link:
https://zoom.us/j/96245510444
The issues we are presenting this year are:
1.  Access Technology affordability Act
The cost of critically needed access technology is out of reach for
most blind Americans. The  Access Technology Affordability Act will
improve affordability of critically needed access  technology necessary
for employment and independent living.
2.  Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act
Advanced digital interfaces create barriers that prevent blind
individuals from independently and  safely operating home-use medical
devices that are essential to their daily healthcare needs. The
Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act will end unequal access to
home-use medical devices for  blind Americans.
3.  Twenty-first Century Website and Application Accessibility Act
Websites are required by law to be accessible, but without implementing
regulations most businesses  and retailers have little understanding of
what accessible means. The Twenty-First Century Mobile  Apps and
Website Accessibility Act will end website and mobile application
inaccessibility for  blind Americans.
4.  Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act (H.R. 2373/S. 3238)
Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 permits employers
to pay people with  disabilities at a rate less than the federal
minimum wage and, in many cases, separated from their  coworkers
without disabilities. The Transformation to Competitive Integrated
Employment Act will  end this antiquated and discriminatory practice
for all Americans with disabilities.
Appointments Scheduled to date:
01 Rep. Tom O’Halleran
02 Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick, Feb. 10 at 12:00 p.m.
03 Rep. Raul Grijalva
04 Rep. Paul Gosar, DDS
05 Rep. Andy Biggs – Meeting with Tyler Sanderson, Feb. 10 at 11:00 a.m.
06 Rep. David Schweikert
07 Rep. Ruben Gallego
08 Rep. Debbie Lesko
09 Rep. Greg Stanton – meeting with Tyler Lewis, Feb. 10 at 1:00 p.m.
Senator Kyrsten Sinema
Senator Mark Kelly
Please stay tuned for additional information. Updates will be sent as
soon as we get appointment  confirmations.