[NFBAZ-EastValleyChapter] immediate call to action today reference sb1335 senior funding

Mark Feliz mafeliz0641 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 19:07:52 UTC 2024

Hello everyone,

This is an immediate call to action regarding SB 1335 adding
one-million dollars  ($1,000,000) to the DES independent living
program budget.  Today this bill will be read for the third time on
the floor of the Sennate.  This is one more step on the journey.  It
must pass for it to be voted its final time in the Sennate.

To look up your district please click

https://irc-az.maps.arcgis.com/apps/instant/lookup/index.html?appid=424810a4667049388ef6df4f0c73098b

The list of senators and their contact information is attached.

A sample letter or phone message is below.  We need as many letters
and voicemails as we can get today by 1:00 PM.

Dear Senator ---,

Currently there are 78,000 older individuals living in Arizona living
with age related Vision loss. This number will double by 2030. The DES
Independent living program is the only place to receive rehabilitation
services to learn how to live independently with blindness. Bline
Arizonans are waiting over one year to receive services causing them
to resort to moving out of their homes into assisted living
facilities, nursing homes, and to rely on in-home health services when
learning the skills of blindness will allow them to live out the
goals, they set for themselves as retired citizens. The ILB program
has not received a funding increase since 2008.  This additional
funding would allow them to hire more instructors and offer more
services through contracted providers so that older blind Arizonans
can receive the training they need to live successfully and
independently.

Then you may write a small paragraph describing either the benefits
you received from blindness training, the difficulties you have faced
waiting for services, or the benefits you have observed from quality
blindness training.

End your email or call with Please support SB1335 so older blind
Arizonans can have the opportunity to live the lives they want.

We thank you for your continued support to help get training to blind seniors.
The senator list is below:

District 1: Ken Bennet, kbennett at azleg.gov, 602-926-5874
District 2: Shawnna Bolick, sbolick at azleg.gov, 602-926-3314
District 3: John Kavanagh, jkavanagh at azleg.gov, 602-926-5170