[Nfbaz-talk] Braille Readers Are Leaders Adult Contest

Allison (NFBA) nfbarizona at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 04:21:26 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in joining me in an NFB of
Arizona team for the NFB's Braille Readers Are Leaders adult contest.  You
can
have any skill level in terms of reading Braille because there are four
competition categories--beginner, intermediate, advanced, and expert.  Even
if you only read uncontracted (grade 1) Braille you can still participate.
There's also a special category for sighted teachers and parents who wish to
practice reading Braille.  The goal of a team is to work together to read as
many pages as we can and to show our love of Braille through team spirit.

So far I'm the only one in the NFBA that I know of who has registered
for the contest.  I'd love to create a team of Arizonans who can work
together to encourage each other with our reading.  If you think you may be
interested, or you know someone who is, please drop me an email or give me a
call.  My contact info is at the bottom of this message.

Note that this contest is different from the Braille Readers Are Leaders one
for children.  This is the first year that adults are allowed to
participate.  The K-12 contest still exists but is separate from the NFBA
team I'd like to create for adults.

Below is some more information about the contest.  I've also attached a Word
documents to this email that contain additional info.

Braille Readers Are Leaders 2009-2010

1st Annual Contest for Blind Adults

Deadline: Friday, January 22, 2010

CONTEST INFORMATION AND INSTRUCTIONS

Please direct all questions and comments to
BrailleReadersAreLeaders at nfb.org,

(410) 659-9314, extension 2232, or Fax: (410) 659-5129.

IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER

The contest is two months long. It begins on November 1 and ends on Louis
Braille's birth date-January 4.

EVERY participant who registers in advance for the contest will get a
T-shirt!

We have instituted an option for advance registration. And, to provide extra
incentive to register early, we guarantee a contest T-shirt for every
contestant who registers between October 1 and December 1. Contestants who
do not register in advance, but who get the registration and entry form in
by the January 22 deadline, will still be eligible for all awards and cash
prizes, but they are not guaranteed a T-shirt.

PURPOSE: To promote the joy of reading for pleasure, to promote a pride in
Braille as a viable literacy medium equal to print, and to demonstrate the
importance of independent reading in the development of Braille literacy
skills.

ELIGIBILITY: Blind/visually impaired Braille-reading individuals 18 years of
age or older who are no longer enrolled in compulsory educational
programming in the USA and Canada, are eligible to compete in the contest.

REGISTRATION: To be guaranteed a T-shirt, contestants must be registered
between October 1 and December 1, 2009.  Participants who submit all of
their registration and entry documentation through the interactive forms
online will be entered into a drawing for a special prize.  Registration is
available online or may be mailed, e-mailed, and/or faxed

To learn more visit www.nfb.org/bral.

Best,

Allison Hilliker
NFBA 1st Vice President