[Nfbaz-talk] New List for Blind Conservatives

RyanO ryano218 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 20 01:32:10 UTC 2010

I have been asked to circulate the following:

Dave

In October, 2008, a fellow Federationist and I were asked to reach
out to the McCain campaign in hopes of persuading a representative to
come speak at our monthly Denver chapter meeting on the topic of
disability issues. We already had a rep from the Obama campaign in
the person of one of our members, who was an official Obama
surrogate. After several days of phone tag, I was informed that the
McCain camp would not be sending a representative to speak to us. The
reason I was given was because, "Obama was just too far ahead on
disability issues."

I and my fellow conservative blind friends were angry and hurt. We
tried to give both sides equal time and felt we'd been told that we
didn't matter. To that end, I felt I had two options. The first was
to quit being a conservative and jump ship over to the other side.
The second option was to get more actively involved and to make our
voices heard on all levels. Anyone who knows me knows that option one
was not an option.

To that end, I have created a mailing list called, Brush Fires. It is
primarily for blind conservatives so that we may form a network of
communication and information. Let me stress that everyone is welcome
on this list, no matter what their political stripe may be. In the
spirit of the Federation, I believe that healthy debate and
discussion fosters a more vibrant society for all of its members.

Right now, the list is announce only. If we get big enough, I plan to
turn it into a discussion mailing list. For more information, please
Email me at
ryano218 at comcast.net

Thank you for your time and attention.

RyanO