[Nfbc-info] social networking website resolution

Tim Elder tim at timeldermusic.com
Sat Dec 6 05:31:02 UTC 2008

I stand corrected.  Apparently I overlooked the awesome reach of the state
claims as I was using the decision for federal ADA research.  Here's the
actual text from the order:
-
What the court alluded to in its previous order, it will now hold explicitly
for the purposes of class certification: the Unruh Act and the DPA reach
Target.com as a kind of business establishment and an accommodation,
advantage, facility, and privilege of a place of public accommodation,
respectively. No nexus to the physical stores need be shown.

1. Unruh Act

The Unruh Act, California Civil Code section 51, et seq. states that

(b) All persons within the jurisdiction of this state are free and equal,
and no matter what their sex, race, color, religion, ancestry, national
origin, disability, medical condition, marital status, or sexual orientation
are entitled to the full and equal accommodations, advantages, facilities,
privileges, or services in all business establishments of every kind
whatsoever.

The statutory text is not susceptible to the limited construction that the
Ninth Circuit has placed on the ADA. Weyer, 198 F.3d at 1114 (9th Cir.
2000). In its 1959 amendments to the Unruh Act, the California legislature
eliminated the list of physical places contained in the Act and replaced it
with the reference to "all business establishments of every kind
whatsoever." Warfield v. Peninsula Golf & Country Club, 10 Cal. 4th 594, 618
(1995) (discussing 1959 amendments to the Unruh Act); Gardner v. Vic Tanny
Compton, Inc., 182 Cal. App. 2d 506, 512 (1960) (describing interpretation
of previous statutory language limiting Unruh Act to "all other places"). By
contrast, the California Supreme Court has read the relevant language of the
Unruh Act to the broadest extent possible: "the word 'establishment,' as
broadly defined, includes not only a fixed location . . . but also a
permanent 'commercial force or organization.'" O'Connor v. Village Green
Owners Ass'n, 33 Cal. 3d 790, 795 (1983). In its most recent amendments to
the Unruh Act, the legislature made a specific finding expressing its
support for the expansive construction in O'Connor. See Cal. Civ.Code. § 51,
Historical Notes-Historical and Statutory Notes ("It is the intent of the
Legislature that the amendments made to the Unruh Civil Rights Act by this
act do not affect the California Supreme Court's rulings in [Marina Point]
and [O'Connor]."). Indeed, one federal district has recently construed the
term "business establishment" to include an exclusively internet-based
adoption agency. Butler v. Adoption Media, LLC, 486 F.Supp. 2d 1022, 1054
(N.D. Cal. 2007) (Hamilton, J.). In that case, the plaintiffs alleged that
the website's refusal to offer same-sex domestic partners the
adoption-related services on the same terms and conditions offered married
couples, violated the Unruh Act. None of these cases restrict the
applicability of the Unruh Act in the same way as the ADA; imposing a nexus
requirement on the class definition for the California subclass is,
therefore, not necessary.