[Nfbc-info] Target Settlement Procedures

Michael Peterson its_mike at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 10 20:22:46 UTC 2008

    Hi Tim one real big problem with this although I did file and believe my
application has merit.  When I was using target in 2003 through 2006
especially, it never occurred to me that a target lawsuit was even probable.
I went to target all the time entering or trying to enter sweepstakesand
don't remember all the times I may have tried to order there.
 I went to lots of sites and lots of them had problems remembering exact
dates when you expect nothing to come of it well that's tricky if you use
the computer a lot and go to lots of sites and many have problems.
IF your like me you try to figure out work arrounds.
Fortunately or unfortunately though one particular date does come to mind
when I bought Terra a bike for her birthday.  I was switched from Amazon to
target and because I couldn't use the screen I had to have her come and
visually put through the order.
So much for surprises.  Not to mention the bike a Schwen had problems with a
broken brake and we kept calling the manufacturer who kept sending us the
wrong replacement part. It did get fixed eventually but at a cost.
Good news is the problems we had is why I remember it.
prior to that I went to target in 2003 and 2004 might have had problems and
I think I did complain to sweepstakes groups about target but I've changed
computers and the one that could have had records I don't have for 2003
anyway. and with vista I've done system restores and had to have a tech
person totally restore one of the computers.
They should have records of my email address though.
Here's another problem and I think it's unfair to some of our members and
NFB should do something to change that law.
Those on SSI get punished.  If it's determined you used the target site and
are entitled to money for an injustice which could help motivate business to
be better as an SSI recipient who wins the $3,000 to $7,000 settlement you
forfeit your entitlement which your living on.
That includes possibley your medical.
All this does is benefit blind agencies who get the money because the
average Joe can't afford to take the settlement.
So it's only a partial win for the individual.
Atorneys benefit, Blind agencies benefit, working blind folks and even those
on SSDI can benefit but if your on SSI your like a black sheep because that
program views its self as charity. This could be a fairly large number with
a 70% unemployment rate!

Truth is SSI is   not as charitable as it proports to be because if someone
gets a small break it kicks them down whether through a marriage penalty or
a legal settlement.
Maybe President Obama will change this viewpoint because it really is time
for a change.
I know we have lots more important things like silent cars and college
textbooks accessability etc at least more important to the majority of
unaffected folksbut when we're doing trillion dollar bail outs to wall
street, mortgage bail outs to overspending main street, it seems all most
hypocritical that the same kind of mercy can't be extended to SSI recipients
never mind the fact that the marriage penalty actually encourages
cohabitation and discourages marriage to prevent the penalty in a society
that claims marriage is a primary and Holy union.
 Those of us who agree if necessary take the penalty just as those college
students who win scholarships and don't jump through the hoop in the exact
prescribed way have to be punished for receiving a scholarship.  Somehow
because of the confusing nature of the law Scholarship recipients who can
prove the money paid them was a scholarship should be able to appeal and be
reimbursed for the cost.
In the same vein people receiving a stipen for medical research that could
benefit us all will be penalized so the government in affect discourages
people who could help reduce medical problems who happen to live on SSI from
stepping up to the plate and participating in studies.  Some pay hundreds
others pay thousands but believe me I participated in a major study and
wasn't on SSI thank God but had I been I'd been cut off immediately.
But the study called for lots of record keeping at home medical checks and a
30 day stay in a hospital so they could observe sleep paterns.
It was work.
It was also public service which should be encouraged not penalized.

That's my opinion anyway whatever it's worth.
Sorry about the email  length.

Mike Peterson