[Nfbc-info] Hating the NFB

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 8 17:15:14 UTC 2009

Hello Mike and listers,

    Perhaps I can shed some light on this individual. Last year we had a
college-age blind woman living in San Antonio who according to all the
members we talked to had all but love for the NFB. We ourselves talked to
her and can tell you first-hand that she's definitely uninformed but has
great potential. During our phone conversation she began slam-dunking the
federation, BLIND Inc. and other programs we operate while at the same time
telling us that she had this and that problem she needed help solving.

 After a while we got tired of hearing her rants and insults against the
NFB. We told her that we wanted to be her friend, that she had great
potential as a successful blind person and that we could help her with her
issues, but that we wouldn't tolerate her talking about the NFB that way. We
told her that any conversation related to the federation would be one of an
educational nature, and that we wouldn't dwell on things that happened in
the past. We would only discuss the future and how she could help the
federation grow and further its mission. Sufficed to say it was our first
and only conversation with her.

    We later learned from her roomates that they told her to leave as they
too were tired of her anty NFB remarks and her angry attitude towards
everyone and everything around her. They also told us that she didn't pick
up after herself, and didn't take care of her person very well. She hopped a
Greyhound Bus and hasn't been heard from since.

    I believe she mentioned something about having videos on uTube but
didn't discuss their content. She also has an Internet Radio Show in where
she features African Music. Our hunch is that she's no longer in Texas. I
was told that she went back to Philadelphia where she's from. One can only
hope and pray that someone like that will eventually come around and embrace
the NFB. If someone wants explanations of why we do the things we do we'll
gladly discuss it with them, but we definitely drew a bad one when we tried
to reach out to this young lady. Hope this sheds some light on the
individual in question.

Peter Donahue