[Nfbc-info] FW: CCLVI Scholarship Announcement

Michael Peterson its_mike at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 12 23:11:46 UTC 2009

Hi Angela.
  Not that it would be a bad or good thing but the scholarships from what I
read are set up for the purchase of low vision equipment by an affiliate
that specializes in working with low vision people.
If Totals tried to get them to give them scholarships it would be like
rednecks trying to get a special hispanic scholarship from Metcha I think
the organization is called.
Or it would be like atheists trying to get a scholarship from a group trying
to train christian missionaries.
True totals need special equipment but not the same equipment as those with
low vision who I dare not call "Partials" if I don't want my wife to slug
me.
lol. to her a partial is a tooth implant!
 She says "I'm not a partial I'm a full person!"
Admitedly the atheist vs christian is a bit extreme.
but it makes the point I think.
Or to put it another way the local women's club has a schollarship for
college women.  Now I may have some x and some y chromosomes but I'm not a
woman so it might be insulting for me to apply and demand equal status.
Also if the women's club gave me equal standing then any person who wears
glasses or contacts should be elgible for an NFB scholarship.
Have a great day:
Mike