[Nfbc-info] FYI Paul Harvey

Michael Peterson its_mike at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 1 13:25:42 UTC 2009

I just sent a speech Paul Harvey delivered in 1988 at the Chicago convention, I think he delivered a speech at an earlier convention as well because I was there, and I wish I could have found that one,  but the 1988 one was the only one I found at the braille monitor site.Scratching my head, maybe this was the one I was at but it sounds different to me somewhat.
Below is the article about Paul Harvey printed last night.
Paul Harvey, seen with his wife Lynne in this 2001 photo, died in hospital in Phoenix
on  Saturday at age 90.
Paul Harvey, seen with his wife Lynne in this 2001 photo, died in hospital in Phoenix
on Saturday at age 90.
 (Suzanne Starr/The Arizona Republic)
Broadcasting pioneer Paul Harvey died in an Arizona hospital on Saturday at the age
of 90, according to ABC Radio Networks.
Network spokesman Louis Adams said Harvey was surrounded by family members when he
died in Phoenix, where he had a winter home. No cause of death was immediately available.
Harvey was a news commentator and talk-radio pioneer whose staccato style made him
one of the most familiar voices in the United States. His broadcasts also aired in
Canada.
He was forced off the air in 2001 because a virus weakened a vocal cord, but he returned
to work in Chicago and was still active as he passed his 90th birthday.
His death comes less than a year after that of his wife and longtime producer, Lynne.
"My father and mother created from thin air what one day became radio and television
news," Paul Harvey Jr. said in a statement.
"So in the past year, an industry has lost its godparents and today millions have
lost a friend," he said.
Paul Harvey Aurandt was born in Tulsa, Olka., the son of a police officer. He started
in radio in 1933 in Oklahoma and worked in broadcasting until the Second World War,
when he enlisted in the Army Air Corps. He resumed his career in Chicago after the
war.
Harvey burst onto the national media scene in 1951 when he began his coast-to-coast
show
News and Comment for ABC Radio Networks.
Resonant voice
In 1976, Harvey started another feature, The Rest of the Story,
 which delved into the forgotten or little known facts behind stories of famous people
and events.
With his resonant voice and trademark delivery, Harvey became an American heartland
icon, delivering news and commentary with a distinctive Midwestern flavour.
"Stand by for news!" he told his listeners. He was credited with inventing or popularizing
terms such as "skyjacker" and "Reaganomics."
"Paul Harvey was one of the most gifted and beloved broadcasters in our nation's
history," ABC Radio Networks president Jim Robinson said in a statement. "We will
miss our dear friend tremendously and are grateful for the many years we were so
fortunate to have known him."
At the peak of his career, Harvey reached more than 24 million listeners on more
than 1,200 radio stations and charged $30,000 US to give a speech. His syndicated
column was carried by 300 newspapers.
With files from the Associated Press and ABC
Post a comment