[Nfbc-info] Blind Oakland Archetect

Bryan Bashin bashin at calweb.com
Tue May 5 04:31:17 UTC 2009

Folks,

I thought many of you might be interested to learn about the progress
of Chris Downey, a new blind guy, and a student of LisaMaria
martinez, among others.  Chris will be mentoring at this summer's NFB
Youth Slam.

Bryan

Sudden sight loss drives architect to aid blind
Sam Whiting, Chronicle Staff Writer
Saturday, May 2, 2009

Fifteen months ago Chris Downey was just another green architect,
based in Oakland.
Now he has an expertise that separates him from every other architect
in the Bay
Area and all 20,000 attendees at this week's American Institute of
Architects' National
Convention in San Francisco.
Images
Architect Chris Downey reads drawings that have raised fi...
Downey walks through his office with the aid of his cane.
  View Larger Images
Downey, 46, is a blind architect dedicated to planning buildings for
blind people,
a niche brought about by his sudden loss of sight after surgery.
"It is actually pretty exciting," says Downey, as he sits in a
drafting room, like
everybody else at SmithGroup Inc. in the Financial District. Then he
rises to 6 feet
4, grabs a white cane with one hand and reaches out with the other,
grasping for
something to shake. "For someone who likes problem solving, this is
quite a challenge,"
says Downey, who has been working up floor plans in braille to submit
to blind clients
overseeing the design of a new blind rehab center at the Veterans
Affairs center
in Palo Alto.
"It's a question of how do you design an environment for people that
aren't going
to see it?" Right. But there is one question before that. As he puts
it, "Blind architect.
What a preposterous idea. How does that work?"
The answer starts with a benign tumor that had slowly encircled the
intersection
of optic nerves. The tumor began to push the nerves out of position,
and that's when
Downey couldn't follow the flight of a baseball as he played catch
with his son,
Renzo, now 11, at home in Piedmont. Next Downey was hitting stuff in
the road, during
the 100 miles he'd do weekly on his bicycle. Still, he could get his
work done with
the aid of glasses. His eyeballs looked fine, but an MRI revealed a
non-malignant
golf-ball-size growth causing the blind spots.
"If it weren't for playing baseball with my son and riding my bike,
who knows when
I would have figured it out," he says.
Because of the tumor's proximity to the optic nerve, radiation
treatment to shrink
it was not an option. He had surgery on St. Patrick's Day 2008 to try
to correct
his vision, even though he was aware that it was risky and might not work.
Downey's father, a physician, had died of complications from brain
surgery at 36,
so waking up after the procedure at all made Downey feel "pretty darn
lucky." Luckier
still that he had blurry vision, as expected. "It was amazing," he
recalls. "It was
a 9 1/2-hour procedure, and the next day I was up walking around."
When he awoke on the second day, his field of vision had been cut in
half horizontally,
as if the water were at eye level in a swimming pool. By the third
day he'd lost
vision in the top half, too. It varied from dark to light for five
days, then it
faded to black.
"I lost my sight," says Downey, who knew going in that this was a
risk. "But I came
out pretty darn healthy, with the exception of the sight."
He accepted blindness right away. What he could not accept was the
advice of a social
worker who came in and immediately started discussing a career
change. Every step
he had taken since junior high in Raleigh, N.C., had been toward
becoming an architect.
He had seven years of schooling into it, topped by a master's degree
from UC Berkeley
in 1992. Since then, he had designed aquariums, libraries, theaters,
stores and homes.
He tried returning to the job he'd started a few months before he
became ill, but
was laid off before Christmas. He searched the Internet, and found
one blind architect
in Lisbon, Portugal, and a guy who works as a forensic architect,
investigating failures
in buildings. That was it.
On a whim he called Patrick Bell, a business adviser to architecture
firms, and that's
when Downey finally got some decent Irish luck. As it happened, Bell
was working
with a firm called the Design Partnership, which is doing a joint
venture with SmithGroup
to design a 170,000-square-foot Polytrauma and Blind Rehabilitation
Center for the
Veterans Administration Palo Alto Health Care System. Bell made the
connection, and
Downey was hired as a contract architect.
"It's the first time any of us have dealt with even a sight-impaired
architect, let
alone one who is blind," says Kerri Childress, VA spokeswoman. "It's
really been
beneficial having an architect who is blind working on a facility to
serve the blind."
The design phase runs through July. From there, Downey has been
invited to serve
as a mentor to blind high school students at a weeklong event this
summer in Maryland.
(He's also back to cycling on a tandem bike with his buddy steering,
and is up to
60 miles in the Oakland hills.) And he wouldn't mind addressing next
year's AIA convention
in Miami.
"I was always nervous in front of crowds," says Downey, "but now that
I can't see
them, I think it will make it easier."
E-mail Sam Whiting at
swhiting at sfchronicle.com
.
This article appeared on page E - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle