[Nfbc-info] Text of Presidential White Cane Safety Day Proclamation

Bryan Bashin bashin at calweb.com
Thu Oct 15 16:20:43 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

White Cane Safety Day has a long history and today's proclamation
continues it.  I'm including the text of today's press release below
my signature.

Cordially,

Bryan Bashin

THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release October 15, 2009
WHITE CANE SAFETY DAY, 2009
BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
A PROCLAMATION
All Americans deserve the freedom to participate inevery aspect of
our society and
pursue their full measure ofhappiness. For blind Americans, the white
cane is a potentsymbol
of that freedom -- affording them greater independenceand mobility.
Today we renew
our commitment to provide fullinclusion and equal opportunities for
those among us
who areblind or have low vision. As Americans, we must nurture
asociety that values
the unique abilities and individualcontributions of all its people.
Individuals who are blind or have low vision are less
constrained and better integrated in our country than everbefore, but
much work remains
to ensure they have theopportunity to reach their full potential. My
Administrationis
committed to securing full and equal access to education
andemployment for blind
Americans and all those with disabilities.
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act substantiallyincreased
funding for the
Individuals with DisabilitiesEducation Act, as well as vocational
rehabilitation
services,
including job training, education, and placement.
For Americans who are blind or have low vision, a whitecane is just
one of a wide
range of tools that sustainindependence and productivity. In recent
years, refreshableBraille
displays and speech synthesis devices have given theseindividuals
access to the Internet,
unlocking a new frontier oflimitless possibility. As we encourage the
development
of newassistive technologies, we must also improve access to
existingtools. The Braille
code has opened a doorway to literacy forcountless individuals, but
far too many
blind children in ourcountry are not learning to read it. By
improving Brailleliteracy,
we will secure a brighter future for these youngAmericans.
In the 45 years since White Cane Safety Day was firstproclaimed by
President Lyndon
Johnson, Americans who are blindor have low vision have achieved
substantial progress.
As
leaders in government and business, academics, and the arts,
they have made remarkable contributions to our Nation, provingthat
sight is no requisite
for success. We will continue to
strive for a more just and equitable Nation that celebratesdiversity
in all its forms
and promotes the full inclusion ofall individuals in our communities.
more
(OVER)
2
By joint resolution approved on October 6, 1964 (PublicLaw 88-628, as
amended), the
Congress designated October 15of each year as White Cane Safety Day
to recognize
thecontributions of Americans who are blind or have low vision.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of theUnited States of
America, do hereby
proclaim October 15, 2009,
as White Cane Safety Day. I call upon all Americans to observethis
day with appropriate
ceremonies, activities, and programs.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand thisfifteenth day of
October, in
the year of our Lordtwo thousand nine, and of the Independence of the
United Statesof
America the two hundred and thirty-fourth.
  BARACK OBAMA
# # #