[Nfbc-info] Joseph Webb's Arraignment Today

Bryan Bashin bashin at calweb.com
Wed Sep 2 06:55:37 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

Just wanted to report that I attended the arraignment of Diane
Starin's attacker, Joseph Webb today.  I must admit it was deeply
satisfying to see a man in an orange prison shirt and pants
emblazoned with giant letters saying "Sacramento County
Prisoner."  When the time came, Joseph Webb was led into, literally,
a cage where the judge addressed him and told him he was being
charged with a number of felony counts, Assault with a deadly weapon,
assault with intent to create great bodily harm, and the
previously-mentioned elder abuse, a catch-all for all persons with
disabilities.  There were some other lesser charges as well.

Joseph Webb was described to me as looking tall and wiry, perhaps the
ravages of a street life showing through.  He seemed a little dazed,
at one point asking "what was the offer," which I imagined he meant
to what he should plead guilty in order to lessen his crime.  The
judge told him that the arraignment wasn't the right time for this
discussion and asked him if he could afford his own attorney.  Webb
said no and a public defender was appointed.  He'll next appear
before a judge Thursday morning.

I was seated in the courtroom right in front, my long white cane
extended.  My friend told me she thought the prosecutor noticed me,
as did the judge.  Not sure about Mr. Webb.

On another note, I've been working with local politicians and other
organizations to be sure the DA knows we are deadly serious about
assaults on blind people.  Today Sacramento City Councilman Steve
Cohn, a longtime friend of mine, wrote me the following:

Bryan,
Thanks for bringing to my attention this despicable and deplorable
attack on Ms. Starin.  I will do everything within my power to urge the
District Attorney and the Court to punish the culprit to the fullest
extent of the law.  As it turns out, I am Chair of Regional Transit this
year, so that makes it all the more compelling for me to ensure
prosecution of this crime.  Blind people face enough obstacles in our
society without having to be a sitting duck target for a brutal attack.
Yours truly,
Steve Cohn

So that's where we stand right now.  I am so very glad Diane is
recovering at home, but as the French  say revenge is a dish best
served cold.  Let us continue to press for maximum prosecution.  Has
the NFBC Board communicated yet with the Sacramento DA about Diane?

Best,

Bryan