[Nfbc-info] Can blind people own cars in California?

ckrugman at sbcglobal.net ckrugman at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 27 03:50:54 UTC 2009

While there have subsequent anecdotes about blind people owning cars in
California the section of the California Vehicle Code showing the
requirements that the DMV uses for registration is below. A driver's license
or California identification card is required as shown. In reviewing this a
second time it appears that this information about the California
identification is optional.
Chuck

4150.  Application for the original or renewal registration of a

vehicle of a type required to be registered under this code shall be

made by the owner to the department upon the appropriate form

furnished by it and shall contain all of the following:

(a) The true, full name, business or residence and mailing

address, and driver's license or identification card number, if any,

of the owner, and the true, full name and business or residence or

mailing address of the legal owner, if any.

(b) The name of the county in which the owner resides.

(c) A description of the vehicle, including the following data

insofar as they may exist:

(1) The make, model, and type of body.

(2) The vehicle identification number or any other identifying

number as may be required by the department.

(3) The date first sold by a manufacturer, remanufacturer, or

dealer to a consumer.

(d) Any other information that is reasonably required by the

department to enable it to determine whether the vehicle is lawfully

entitled to registration.