[Nfbc-info] FW: The Global Explorers Leading the Way Program

Angela fowler fowlers at syix.com
Tue Sep 29 00:37:30 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,
    Please distribute this to all students who may be interested.

  _____

Announcing 2010 Opportunities for B/VI Students to Explore the Globe

Here at Global Explorers, we are passionate about providing the most
comprehensive and genuine travel experience available to students and
educators of all backgrounds and abilities. We are a non-profit organization
committed to sustainable tourism and responsible global citizenship.

Developed in partnership with world-renowned blind adventurer Erik
Weihenmayer, Global Explorers' nationally-recognized Leading the Way program
is our only individual enrollment program. As of this year, students of all
physical abilities between the ages of 14 and 21 are welcome to apply.
Leading the Way integrates science, service, leadership, and culture,
resulting in a life-changing adventure. Far more than just a fun trip, each
expedition involves preparatory curriculum prior to travel and a service
leadership project post travel.

By making necessary accommodations and focusing on what participants can do,
the program prepares students to act on the passions they discover. Through
their unique stories, the teams help spread messages of hope and
inspiration, while breaking down barriers between those with and without
disabilities.

In summer 2010, we are offering two expeditions:

Rim to River Expedition: Grand Canyon, Arizona, USA

July 6-20, 2010 | Price Range: $2,100-2,700 Exact price TBD | We help you
fundraise!

In partnership with Grand Canyon Youth (www.gcyouth.org
<http://www.gcyouth.org/> ), this program provides a once-in-a-lifetime
opportunity for students of all abilities to explore the wonders of the
Grand Canyon from its majestic rim to its world-renowned river.

Yucatan Leadership Program, Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico

July 10-18, 2010 | Price range: $2,100-2,700 Exact price TBD | We help you
fundraise!

This team will explore leadership development as they venture through the
renowned ruins of the Maya Civilization, explore the colorful reefs of the
Sian Ka'an Biosphere, kayak along ancient Maya trade routes and swim with
the world's largest fish: the whale shark!

What You Can Do

Please encourage students to visit our website to learn more about our
program. Students can apply at:
http://globalexplorers.wufoo.com/forms/leading-the-way-application/. The
application deadline is November 15.

We rely on your recommendations!  Please nominate a student online:
http://globalexplorers.wufoo.com/forms/2010-nomination-form/ and we will
follow up with him/her.

To discuss other ways to get involved or to request additional info or
material preferences (Braille, LP), please contact me at
laura at globalexplorers.org or 1-877-627-1425.

Sincerely,

Laura Portalupi

Leading the Way Intern