[Nfbc-info] Disabled Anchorage teacher wins

Robert Stigile rstigile at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 6 21:10:34 UTC 2010

Great Job Mary.

Robert Stigile
E-mail: rstigile at sbcglobal.net
Skype: robertstigile1

 ----- Original Message -----
From: "Mary Willows" <mwillows at sbcglobal.net
To: "NFB of California List" <nfbc-info at nfbnet.org
Date sent: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 12:29:19 -0700
Subject: [Nfbc-info] Disabled Anchorage teacher wins

Hello All!
    I am so excited to receive the following news.  if you will
remember I
testify on this teacher behalf we should all write to her and
congratulate
her.

Disabled Anchorage teacher wins $45,000 in rights claim

The Associated Press Published: August 5th, 2010

A disabled teacher who claimed the Anchorage School District
fired her
because students complained about her guide dog has won $45,000.

The Alaska Commission for Human Rights ordered the district to
pay back
wages to Vilma Anderson who uses a dog for help with her impaired
vision.

She worked as a substitute for a short time in 2005 but was told
she was a
threat to student health and safety after some complained about
allergies
and fear of her dog.

KTUU reports the district failed to assess Anderson for her true
abilities
as a teacher, according to the ruling.  Employees will have to
attend a
training seminar on disability discrimination.

Mary Willows, President
mwillows at sbcglobal.net